how bad for you are the yolks?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by backdoorchicken, Dec 9, 2009.

1. backdoorchicken

backdoorchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    newport news va
    every healthy recipe suggestion i see always says egg whites. what is so wrong with the yolks? i like the yolks.

2. BlueMottie

BlueMottie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    Rock
    From what I've read, the yolks are the healthiest part of the egg as that is where the nutrients for the would-be chick are stored.
    If I'm thinking correctly...(which sometimes I am not, haha) the idea that eggs have bad cholesterol has been disproved and that it is actually good cholesterol. But, you might want to do some more research before listening to me.

3. zaylinda

zaylinda Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2009
    Tacoma WA
    The egg yolk is where the nutrition, and fat, are stored in the egg. Fat has more calories than either fiber or protein. So if you're a crazy dieter, fat=Satan, and egg yolks should be avoided at all costs. Otherwise, go for the taste and nutrition!
    -Zay

4. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    I may be wrong but I think egg whites are a strong binding ingredient.
    You can use it for things like hair "glue"

5. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    True: it is a good binding ingredient: plus when you are making something that is supposed to be white, like white cake, you don't want to introduce a colored ingredient like yolks. Then you end up with yellow cake.

The whole egg is not bad for you, so long as you remember everything in moderation.

6. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    The yolk is the cell nucleus and the yolk is cytoplasim. (Remember biology?) Most of the nuitrients, fats, etc. are stored in the nucleus of a cell, where the cytoplasim's job is to facilitate absorbtion and transport. Long and short, don't eat 12 yolks everyday, and you're fine.

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Depends on how old your "healthy" recipes are and who you listen to. The last I heard the yolks were not all that bad, in moderation of course. That will change next week or with the next "healthy foods" cook book my wife reads. [​IMG]

It is almost lunch time and it is cold out. A warm egg sandwich, with yolk, sounds pretty good today. Poached egg, of course.

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Poor you! Would you like a nice big ol' fried (whole) egg sandwich with lots of mayo. Fried in bacon grease of course. My theory? Everybody's gotta die of something. Might as well enjoy the ride. [​IMG]

9. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:Poor you! Would you like a nice big ol' fried (whole) egg sandwich with lots of mayo. Fried in bacon grease of course. My theory? Everybody's gotta die of something. Might as well enjoy the ride. [​IMG]

I'll be there for lunch! [​IMG]

10. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas

I'll be there for lunch! [​IMG]

With me or Gritsar. I'll make more bread, just in case.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by