1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how bad is it? i gave my 1 wk old babies a little chick grit

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bj taylor, Feb 10, 2012.

1. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    i was fretting because i had let them scratch in the pine shavings litter a few times between putting paper towels down. then i thought they would need some grit to process any shavings they might have swallowed. now i'm reading that the calcium can kill their kidneys. i have given them a little bit since yesterday & none today.
    is it too late - have i hurt or killed my babies?[​IMG]

2. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Try not to worry, it will likely be fine. Grit and oyster shell are two different things, if it was granite grit, it is fine. If it was oyster shell, just don't give them any more til they are old enough to lay.

3. McKenley5

McKenley5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    I sprinkled a little chick grit in the brooder with some 1 week olds a few days ago. Nothing bad has happened. I am not sure if they have eaten any of it or not though. If they were in a "natural environment" (the yard), then they would have access to little pebbles anyway. I am guessing that it is not a huge deal. Maybe someone else has a good answer??

4. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    thank you wisher 1000. they have been so healthy & doing wonderfully - i would be devastated if i wrecked them. i think it is granite. surely the package would specify if it was oyster shell.
    i will wait & see what happens.

5. junglebird

junglebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've also not had any issues with fine grit for chicks, Mine have it in their grain/egg/greens mixture starting day 2 (chicks being raised by mama).

6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Oyster shell and grit are two different things and the package will specify which it is. You don't want to buy parakeet grit for them because that does contain calcium. But you can give them grit specifically labeled for chicks from a feed store. It is finer then what is sold for hens and contains no added calcium.

7. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Your babies will be fine. I provide grit (just dirt from my yard) from day one. If they were with a mama hen they would eat the dirt, so I give them some in a Tupperware container....never had a problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by