1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How bad is it :)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Ginevive, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Ginevive

Ginevive Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2007
    I made this little coop last week, before doing much research. I thought that I needed something right away, but the chickens were not brought home yet. I know that it needs reinforcement to keep out predators and snakes.. what I am thinking, is to build something better and just use this as a temporary holding unit when I clean out the main one? I just used chicken wire, 2x4s, and wire. Dirt floor also not a good defense against predators that could dig under.. but I will work on something better before they get here. Your thoughts? It makes a GREAT "workbench" in the barn for now!

[​IMG]

2. 65browneyes

65browneyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Arizona
    This looks like it would make a great "introductory" coop or nursery/brooder coop at some point. If you're concerned about it's safety regarding predators, place it inside your hen house or coop when they are complete.

3. Ginevive

Ginevive Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2007
    Thanks [​IMG] I wanted it small for now, because the hens we are getting were from a place where they were in tiny cages. I only plan on putting 2 in here. I think that for safety, I will use the heavy-gauge hardware cloth or maybe hog wire to go around it. It is in the barn now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by