1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How bad of an idea is this?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by callen0912, Feb 7, 2015.

1. callen0912

callen0912 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2015
    How cost effective would it be to make a portable chicken run? I'm thinking along the lines of this, but only a run (a sizeable one) and a no coop. I was just wondering for my particular situation, we live in an area that lots of dogs roam, and I want them to have the advantage of being able to free range in nice weather while I can supervise, and I feel like this would be the best option for me.

http://pinterest.com/pin/50595195785563110/

2. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    I am a bit confused since the pic is of a small coop with no run.

How about a hoop coop?
    I would be concerned about dogs roaming though since they can push down on wire and dislodge a section.

Personal preference when it comes to keeping dogs from killing my birds is to keep my birds in a very secure run unless I can be right there with them. By right there with them that means I am RIGHT THERE. No running into the house to grab a soda, answer the phone, change the laundry around, use the restroom, start dinner, or anything else.
    I had a hawk come down right on top of my big Delaware while I was in my workshop just feet away. I saw it bank coming around the apple tree and got to her just as it landed ON her. I had stepped into the shop for just long enough to cut a couple premarked boards.
    Danger is everywhere. [​IMG]

3. callen0912

Jan 31, 2015
    For my coop with a run attached, I will be using hardware cloth. If I even do this idea, I'll use hardware cloth on it as well. They would only be in this, if I even decide to do this, when I would be supervising them.

4. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    So are you talking about a tractor run? Something you can wheel to the desired spot and still have them fenced in?

If I understand what you are saying now...
    You have a secure coop and run, you would like them to be able to roam a bit but be safe from things wanting to eat them, this would be while you were there and they would go back to the coop at night?

I may have misunderstood since the original post did not say it would be limited use. I may have read into that that it would be the only housing.

5. callen0912

Jan 31, 2015
    I don't have a coop yet, but will soon hopefully. I was planning on building one myself, an today I have a friend who has one the same size as I was gonna build that once I am able to see it I will most likely buy it off them. But yes, a tractor run is what I'm thinking of doing, just didn't know the correct terminology as I'm still learning. They will have a secure coop and run, and the tractor run would be separate. I think it will be best on our yard to be able to free range in different areas of our yard, and still allow them to safely free range outside of their normal coop. Whenever they would be in the tractor run, it would only be when I was outside with them. The dogs that roam don't come in our yard all that often, but I'm not taking any chances and will make both the coop and tractor run as secure as possible. Hopefully this makes sense!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Tractors are a great tool to let your birds move to fresh grass. Getting the birds in and out of them is usually the biggest challenge, as well as keeping water. Depending on your terrain, they can be difficult to move about, even small slopes or ridges can be challenging.

If dogs are your main concern, have you looked into electric poultry netting? Most dogs aren't going to challenge an electric fence more than once.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by