How badly did you mess up your first time processing?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ellandeeranch, Oct 14, 2012.

1. ellandeeranch

ellandeeranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    I'd sure like to get into the "other half" of chickens. You've all convinced me that the taste will be worth it. Cleaning a trout is a simple task compared to cleaning a chicken, it sure sounds like.

Do any of you have some nightmare stories that might serve as a good warning for me?

I was thinking of getting some extra roosters from around here (doesn't seem like it's too hard to get roosters, lol). That way, I could give it a try first without ordering a whole passle of chicks from McMurray's or the like.

Thanks.
    Richard

2. UrbanviewFarm

UrbanviewFarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2012
    State of Jefferson
    I didn't really 'mess up' my first time but I did botch cutting the poor duck's throat and ended up slicing it several times.
    Once I left the crop in a turkey I slaughtered, didn't even see it until after the bird was cooked!

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I too botched the throat cut. If you've never done it, you dont' know how hard to cut and most of us either don't cut hard enough or cut in the wrong spot the first time. That first bird will likely be your sacrifice for learning but you'll get it right the next time.

4. UrbanviewFarm

UrbanviewFarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2012
    State of Jefferson

Very true!!! Just DON'T PANIC if the bird doesn't bleed out right the first time. Remember, you've got a job to do and once its bleeding there is NO turning back. Panicing isn't going to help the bird and it isn't going to help you.
    I don't know if this applies to you or not, but holding the bird while cutting its throat is a bad idea. Make a killing cone out of an orange construction cone or whatever you have laying around. I just string them up by their feet with baling twine when I do the job...learned this the hard way processing the first bird.

5. ellandeeranch

ellandeeranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    I'm not nervous about sacrificing animals, it's just that the technique makes me a little nervous. I'm sure it will come with time. My plan is to get a few "cull" roosters that folks around here don't want, process them, then order one of the bigger batches from the hatcheries.

I'm seeing two big time camps around here. One camp likes the Cornish X for the quick growth, high feed conversion efficiency, and large chicken breasts.

The other half seems to prefer longer-growing heritage breeds, like Grandma used to eat back in the old country. You get a more balanced bird with more flavor, but not as much meat.

The Freedom/Red Ranger crowd looks like they're trying to play both sides of the fence!

Thanks. I'm sure I'll have a fun Saturday soon!

RIchard

6. Wax Myrtle

Wax Myrtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2012
    Galivants Ferry, SC

I actually botched the second bird. I got the first one just right, got overconfident and didn't cut deeply enough the second time. Compounding the drama was a bearded bird and poor lighting. Most unpleasant experience. Never again will I work with poor lighting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by