How BEST To Treat Various Issues - Help Understanding Medications

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AmyJane725, May 24, 2019.

1. AmyJane725

AmyJane725 Songster

Feb 22, 2019
    Western WA
    Hey guys, was wondering if I could get some clear instructions/answers on how to treat various afflictions. There are so many medications/treatments I'm kind of overwhelmed.

Please post your choices and the rationale behind them, as it can help others decide what is best for their flock. Not everyone will agree on the various treatment methods, so just know that your opinion is not being attacked if someone disagrees with you. I think it's important for people to hear all sides of the issues.

Worms -I know there's many different kinds of worms. Can some products treat all of them?
    -Safeguard (Liquid or Paste?)
    -Wazine
    -Ivermectin

Lice/Ticks/Fleas/Other Epidermal Parasites
    -Permethrin 10
    -Sevin Powder
    -Castor Oil (for SLM)

Impacted Crop
    -Mineral Oil
    -Liquid Paraffin
    -Docusate Sodium (Dulcolax/Colace)
    -Crop Bound Capsules (What is in these? I read they're deadly if the bird doesn't drink enough water with them)

Doughy Crop
    -1/16 teaspoon Ginger Powder, 1/16 teaspoon Cinnamon Powder, 1/16 teaspoon Cayenne Powder,
    1 teaspoon of Lemon Juice
    -Acidified Copper Sulfate

Sour Crop
    -Miconazole (Monostat)
    -Nystatin (Not very good from what I've read?)
    -Clotrimazole
    -Acidified Copper Sulfate
    -Clotrimazole (Gyne-Lotrimin)

Respiratory Infection
    -Tylan 50/200
    -Baytril (antibiotic resistance risk)
    -Fish Mox
    -Fish Pen
    -Fish Zole
    -SMZ-TMP Fish Aid
    -Lots of other antibiotics. Please suggest your favorite.

Egg Bound
    -Caltrate w/epsom salt soaks

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  2. hop_skip_anda_heartbeat

hop_skip_anda_heartbeat In the Brooder

May 22, 2019
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Have you read "The Chicken Health Handbook" by Gail Damerow? I am reading through it now and it has been an extremely helpful reference guide!

Henriettamom919 likes this.
  3. AmyJane725

AmyJane725 Songster

Feb 22, 2019
    Western WA
    I have not. I know there's a lot of conflicting info out there though, so I was hoping to get the viewpoints of different people on this site. I know treatment recommendations change over time (Prep H used to be the go-to for a prolapsed vent, but that's been outdated now). I'm not sure how old that book is. I don't doubt that it's useful, but I'm kinda trying to make my own first aid manual that'll be easy for me to navigate in an emergency.

cottagecheese and alexisrambles like this.
  4. alexisrambles

alexisrambles Chirping

May 22, 2019
    Louisiana
    Oh that's a brilliant idea Amy! I should definitely do that. Internet is sometimes iffy where I am.

AmyJane725 likes this.
  5. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Songster

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    I'll be watching this post, myself.

I'm a big fan of Diatomaceous Earth for mites and lice. I now add a little to their bedding and favorite dust bath spot as a preventative for little critters.

6. Mosey2003

Mosey2003 Crowing

Apr 13, 2016
    NC IL
    For worms, I use SafeGuard goat liquid, liquid is better for measuring than paste/gel because you know the drug is suspended uniformly. I also use Valbazen liquid. I do not use Ivermectin orally for the purpose of killing intestinal parasites, it's been in such wide use for so long I don't doubt it's not very effective anymore. The liquid pour-on is good for mites and lice though.

Personally, I don't use DE for anything. Completely useless in my opinion, plus it's a respiratory irritant.

DobieLover and dawg53 like this.
  7. AmyJane725

AmyJane725 Songster

Feb 22, 2019
    Western WA
    I had heard that myself, but then heard that the dust is so fine that it’s an inhalation danger, so I’ve eliminated that one from my list personally. I was told a fine dust bath is wood ash, sand and dry soil. Thoughts?

Henriettamom919 likes this.
  8. AmyJane725

AmyJane725 Songster

Feb 22, 2019
    Western WA
    Does the Valbazen treat for different worms than the Safeguard? I know some people rotate wormers to try to prevent immunity building up to any one med.

9. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Songster

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    Yes, I like that recipe for dust bath! That's the mixture I make for my babies!

10. Mosey2003

Mosey2003 Crowing

Apr 13, 2016
    NC IL
    It will treat both tapeworms and gapeworm in 2 doses, whereas you have to use the SafeGuard for a number of days consecutively.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: