1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How Big and How Many Ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mrbstephens, Mar 2, 2012.

1. mrbstephens

mrbstephens Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm buying a used doghouse that measures 33 inches high, 44 inches long and 32 inches deep. It's wood and the top opens up. I figured I'd put a lock on the top and make a door that also locks. Would build a predator proof run and supply a pool. How many ducks can I fit in there comfortably? I'd like runners.

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    2 as long as they just use it at night and have a nice run to stretch out and move around.

3. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Be sure to figure out something for ventilation. That might get pretty hot in the summer with the birds in it when it is all locked up.
    Runners are great birds, I love mine.

4. mrbstephens

Just two? I was hoping three that way if one dies for whatever reason there wouldn't be a loner.

I'll make ventilation holes and yes, just for the night. I have lots of space here. How big should the run be?

5. mrbstephens

Should I get a smaller duck? I would like pretty ducks with a friendly disposition and good layers.

6. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    My runners are pretty small, they are tall and slender. To me they are small, compared to my Pekin and my Muscovies. I am sure if you put three in there and it is just for the night they would be fine.
    And my runner is a good layer too. I think she's pretty, she's fawn and white, but they come in tons of really cool colors. Just make sure you get three girls or two girls and a boy. 2 boys and a girl will not work out well, especially in a small space. They really could hurt her.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  7. mrbstephens

Great! I have someone local with Indian Runners. How big should the run be?

8. Tahai

Tahai Chillin' With My Peeps

The rule of thumb is 3sq. feet per duck in a night pen, and 25 sq. ft. per duck in pasture/run. If you live in an area where you anticipate keeping them in their night pen for extended periods, in deep winter when the days are short or in harsh winters, for example, you will want to give them 6-8 sq. ft. per duck.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  9. mrbstephens

So perfect actually! That house will give them 3 square feet each for the night and I have plenty of room to provide them with that space for the run. We don't get terrible winters here typically and we're in the woods, so it' well protected from winds.

10. mrbstephens

How tall should the doorway be? I think I have to make the doorway bigger.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by