1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How big are bantams

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Zahboo, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I know about 20 oz. BUT I can't help mom picture it. Does anyone have a picture?

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

my sebrights are about the size of a pigeon.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    There is a wide range in size of bantams, depending on the breed. The smallest are seramas--a full grown class A (I think that is how they designate the size--I don't raise them) is about the height of a can of soda.

Silkies and cochins are about the size of a volleyball (and not too differently shaped, lol). Brahmas are a bit bigger.

And everything in between. You can find a few gazillion (for a highly technical number [​IMG] photos on feathersite.

4. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Sebrights and Japanese

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The japs are about the size of a child's soccer ball: size 3 or 4 And with their tail they are kind of that shape too, but in a very different sense than the silkies or cochins. I think sebrights are similar in size, but more football shaped.

6. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Thanks! That makes since. I'll show her this post and see if it helps her!!!!!!!!!!

7. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

I'll see what I have of people holding bantams... Should give you a better idea...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see Alyssa on the far right holding a silkie bantam
    [​IMG]

Hope those helped!

8. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    [​IMG] Im lying on my stomach, (old ones) [​IMG] knees, [​IMG] (knees again)... those are old english game bantams,

another- [​IMG] believe i was on my knees there.. Shes kinda young in that picture, shes close to a year old now

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  9. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Not a very good pic, but this is Squeak, the Black Tailed Buff Japanese Banty hen.

[​IMG]

Our smallest girl. :)

Edited for spelling reasons and to add that she is full grown. Almost two years old.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  10. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not sure how to show size for comparison but here are some pics!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by