1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How big are Sebbie eggs? Do they lay this time of year?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by KellyHM, Nov 5, 2009.

1. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I found 2 HUGE eggs in the nest where my ducks have been laying. They are twice the size of the duck eggs I've been getting if not more. Is it possible the Sebbies would lay this time of year? Whatever they are I'm going to hatch them...I'll either get monster ducklings or a couple of Sebbies!

2. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Hi Kelly
    Yes, they can lay this time of the year. Mine were laying last November. There are some BYC members getting eggs now also. But, I think this is out of the normal breeding(laying) season. Usually they start laying in January. My ganders have been hissy for a couple of weeks, and my brown china gander was already attacking me(I sold the brown chinas yesterday). Someone on here said their vet said, we may be feeding them too much protein. So, I am going to cut back on the layer pellets in the mix(oats,wheat,corn) they get and see if it has any effect.
    BTW- My geese were only about 9 months old- so I don't think my gander were fertile- either way non of my eggs hatched. It wouldn't hurt to incubate them though and see it they hatch.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  3. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Just because the geese are laying doesn't mean the ganders are fertile. No harm trying to hatch rhese eggs but don't get your hopes too high.

4. KellyHM

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Hi, thanks for the replies. I'm not getting my hopes up b/c #1 I don't even know what kind of eggs they are and #2 my Sebbies are only about 8-9 months old. Myabe it's just one of my ducks that lays a huge egg! All my ducks are young and have just started laying, so I don't know what to expect from them. All their eggs I've thrown in the bator have been fertile so far though. I'll just have to see if they develop and what pops out!

5. hammerhead

hammerhead Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I just found three eggs from my embden. I noticed she was acting unusual (if that applies to geese) last week and as soon as I let her out, she left the gaggle. I don't know about your Sebbies but I wouldn't rule it out.

Hammerhead

6. slightlyscrambled

slightlyscrambled Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Nebraska
  7. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    You said that your ducks are young and just started to lay. Could the eggs just be double yolks from the ducks? When my ducks started laying I got lots of double yolks as well as some triple.

8. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Post some pictures of the eggs, we can tell you if they are sebbie eggs or duck eggs. [​IMG]

9. KellyHM

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Ok, here is a pic of the eggs in my bator with one of my "large" duck eggs in between and more duck eggs behind them. What do you guys think?

[​IMG]

On a side note, do ducks always get their eggs so dirty?!

10. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I think those would be duck eggs.

Sebbie eggs are very large and have a white chalky appearance. I don't think they would fit in your turner or in that incubator unless they were on their side.

Duck eggs have more slick/oily looking appearance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by