How big are Sebbie eggs? Do they lay this time of year?

KellyHM

Crowing
11 Years
Sep 10, 2008
Lakeland, FL
I found 2 HUGE eggs in the nest where my ducks have been laying. They are twice the size of the duck eggs I've been getting if not more. Is it possible the Sebbies would lay this time of year? Whatever they are I'm going to hatch them...I'll either get monster ducklings or a couple of Sebbies!

Hi Kelly
Yes, they can lay this time of the year. Mine were laying last November. There are some BYC members getting eggs now also. But, I think this is out of the normal breeding(laying) season. Usually they start laying in January. My ganders have been hissy for a couple of weeks, and my brown china gander was already attacking me(I sold the brown chinas yesterday). Someone on here said their vet said, we may be feeding them too much protein. So, I am going to cut back on the layer pellets in the mix(oats,wheat,corn) they get and see if it has any effect.
BTW- My geese were only about 9 months old- so I don't think my gander were fertile- either way non of my eggs hatched. It wouldn't hurt to incubate them though and see it they hatch.

Last edited:
Quote:
Just because the geese are laying doesn't mean the ganders are fertile. No harm trying to hatch rhese eggs but don't get your hopes too high.

Hi, thanks for the replies. I'm not getting my hopes up b/c #1 I don't even know what kind of eggs they are and #2 my Sebbies are only about 8-9 months old. Myabe it's just one of my ducks that lays a huge egg! All my ducks are young and have just started laying, so I don't know what to expect from them. All their eggs I've thrown in the bator have been fertile so far though. I'll just have to see if they develop and what pops out!

I just found three eggs from my embden. I noticed she was acting unusual (if that applies to geese) last week and as soon as I let her out, she left the gaggle. I don't know about your Sebbies but I wouldn't rule it out.

Hammerhead

You said that your ducks are young and just started to lay. Could the eggs just be double yolks from the ducks? When my ducks started laying I got lots of double yolks as well as some triple.

Post some pictures of the eggs, we can tell you if they are sebbie eggs or duck eggs.
big_smile.png

Ok, here is a pic of the eggs in my bator with one of my "large" duck eggs in between and more duck eggs behind them. What do you guys think?

15626_dscn1993.jpg

On a side note, do ducks always get their eggs so dirty?!

I think those would be duck eggs.

Sebbie eggs are very large and have a white chalky appearance. I don't think they would fit in your turner or in that incubator unless they were on their side.

Duck eggs have more slick/oily looking appearance.

Back
Top Bottom