1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How big are the first rhode island red eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChuckenGirl, Jul 19, 2008.

1. ChuckenGirl

ChuckenGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2007
    Maryland :)
    My dad said they would be larger then a regular first laid egg, i said it would be smaller since it was the first time. We got our first egg yesturday and it was small and long is that normal? I will post pictures later.

2. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    small and long, I think that would be normal!
    Hooray, first egg [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Mom

Mom Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2008
    Texas
    how old are your hens. Ours are almost 5 months old and no eggs yet. DH wanted Rhodies because that is what he had in Colorado. I am thinking they may can take the cold very well but the heat slows them down?

4. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    My RIR's started laying at 6 months

5. Mom

Mom Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2008
    Texas
    Quote:Guess I am just too impatient. Big Mamma, our Pekin is the same age and she has laid an egg every day except 1 day for the last 2 weeks - she is very consitent - between 6:45 and 7:15 every morning.

6. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    My RIR's have been laying for almost a month now. They started laying at 18-19 weeks old. I have received a variety of shades, sizes, and shapes. My kiddos love the oblong ones! I can notice a significant difference in size from the first eggs we collected. They just keep growing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by