1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how big are the rocks in chicken grit supposed to be?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by vermontgal, Jan 13, 2009.

1. vermontgal

vermontgal Chillin' With My Peeps

I was at the feed store yesterday and the grit they had there (marked "Developer" (?)) was about as big as dried kidney beans, with some approaching the size of a lima bean. It looked HUGE and jaggedy.

The feed store staffer (also raises chickens) was skeptical of the size, too.

How big is it supposed to be? If you could compare it in size to seeds (peas, oats, kernels of corn, etc.) that would be helpful.

2. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    I would say maybe a quarter of the size of a corn kernel at most. On edit. I never buy grit. They pick out what they need in the run and in the yard as well as the driveway.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  3. Eastins Eggs

Eastins Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Ceresco Nebraska
    About 8th to 16th inch or even smaller. Chickens will know what is the right size for them

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I agree - about the size of an oatmeal grain.

Chicks go nuts over parakeet grit. It's weird how much they love DIRT.

5. danamillette

danamillette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Northern Wisconsin
    Now, this is something i didnt think about. The ground is frozen and covered with snow. I offere scratch and oyster. Is that enough? I should I find some grit.?

6. vermontgal

vermontgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for this info. I guess in my mind I had in mind something around the size of an oat or a little smaller than a pea as being about right.

1acrefarm, I have not bought grit until now because my chickens also picked it up outside. But - there is now 4' of snow in my yard, and so the natural grit is a little hard to get to. [​IMG]

In with that giant grit was also some smaller pieces, maybe they will pick out the sizes they need and leave the rest. I'll have to think about that. I didn't want to buy the whole bag if much of it was too big to be usable.

My local feed store repackages smaller bags - this was a 5 lb bag out of a 50 lb grit bag. Since I only have 4 chickens and often walk to the store, I don't want to haul a 50 lb bag back. Maybe I'll see if they can sell me a 5 lb bag with smaller stuff in it, and leave those bigger pieces for someone who has turkeys!

I'll also have to think about going to the local granite shed or stonecutter's shop to see if I can get some grit cheap.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I wonder whether the 'giant grit' was meant for turkeys?

What I use is maybe the size of a small bean or very large barley kernel (uncooked).

Pat

8. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    If a bird can eat whole corn,I'd think that granite that size should be ok.I've seen them pick up bigger rocks than that.
    I always thought if the grit was too small it would just pass through them,not doing any good.
    I thought there was 3 sizes of grit 1.Chick 2.Grower/Developer and 3.Layer
    Grit is very cheap if you buy the 50 lb bag and it lasts a long time.I give it to them every other week,but they probably don't need it during freeranging decent weather. Will

9. 2 Beauts

2 Beauts Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Virginia
    I've always just used all purpose sand. Should I use something different??

10. MissJames

MissJames Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2008
    Coastal SC
    Quote:Or Emus? That just doesn't sound right.I use sand.My feed store owner looked at me crosseyed when I asked for grit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by