How big are the spurs on a 6 week old rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Iloveourbabychick, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Iloveourbabychick

Iloveourbabychick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2008
    Hickory,NC
    I'm just wondering....Does anyone happen to know how big they would be on a rooster at the age of 6 weeks?

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    You can't tell much from spur length in chicks until after they hit sexual maturity. Is that what you're asking?

Both sexes will have spur bumps from an early age, and you can't really use the length or size of the spur buds to determine gender. You'll know from the secondary sex characteristics (feather patterns, crowing, etc) before you'll know from the spur length.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Exactly what Arlee is telling you...Roosters don't start growing their spurs til they reach around 9 or 10 months old...some alittle sooner some later...

All chicks have the nubs on their legs....

4. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    There won't be anything there except for a tiny, tiny nub, if that.

5. porteryork

porteryork Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Clarkesville, GA
    My BLRW roo didn't start to have spurs until last week - week 20! That is one of the reasons I was convinced he was a she!

Be patient and look for the tail feathers. Long sickle feathers are tell tale.

6. jakmallex

jakmallex Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    NC
    Look at the spurs on this guy at week 12! They are almost the same size as the ones on my 11 month old.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by