HOw big are your Cayugas?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nettie, Jun 23, 2010.

1. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I keep seeing varying weights for cayugas... Some places say they are huge, while the only one's I've seen in person were pretty small (no heavier than my runners), but they were only 3 months old. So BYCers with Cayuga ducks, how big woudl you say they are? do you think they are 5lbs or heavier? do their bodies seem bigger than a light weight duck?

2. saxet

saxet Chirping

Jun 2, 2010
    TX
    Mine smaller than a pekin (duh!...) and smaller than a Campbell, but not by a lot.

3. littlehenny

littlehenny Songster

Jun 10, 2009
    My drake is humongous my 2 ducks are fairly small.. I hadn't thought about it til you mentioned it, but, there is a big size difference in the drake and ducks.

4. rgn87

rgn87 Songster

Mar 17, 2010
    Georgia
    My drakes are pretty big, and one of my hens is big, but the other two hens are small

5. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Crowing

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    they are a medium sized duck, 3-5 pounds good bit heavier than mallards, but little smaller than say rouens or pekings

6. tigerrrrrrrlilly

tigerrrrrrrlilly Songster

Mar 27, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    mine look bigger than my runners in body, but don't really weigh that much more when I pick them up. I have had a few extra heavy offspring *drakes* occasionally, but mostly they are kind of small. Definitely none of them have been as big as pekins. They are smaller than my swedes but bigger than my runners if that helps.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  7. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Songster

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    My 1 1/2 year old Cayuga hen is the same size as my 2, 10 month old Scovy hens. I would say pretty good size medium girls.

Keep in mind that my Cayuga is a big fat pig and eats non stop. [​IMG]

8. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Crowing

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Quote:That's true, also forgot to mention, that pure cayugas, are almost identical in size male to female, should only be about a 1/2 pound or 1 inch in height difference, if they are half the size as the males, I would question their quality or lineage

her's some pics of our black and blues, note there really isnt any difference male to female

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by