How big do I need to make it?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by blaundee, Sep 15, 2009.

1. blaundee

blaundee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    How big of a pen do I need for 100 laying hens (Australops, Americanas, leghorns, etc)? It must be covered because of the hawks that I am not allowed to shoot, and they can't free range because of the hawks, foxes, and coyotes... Keeping that in mind, there is really no limit on size (as long as it can be covered). How much room do they need?

2. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Are you asking about a run or a coop?

3. blaundee

Aug 3, 2009
    I'm asking about the actual run, not the coop, unless someone just feels like talking about coops, too... I'll take all the info y'all wanna give. [​IMG]

I do not have the 100 layers yet, I want to get the pen built first! lol [​IMG]

4. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I think the "ideal" area in a coop is 3-4 sqft per bird. As far as a run, I think it could be as big as you can afford to make it.

5. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    I think the run should have a minimum of 10 sq ft per bird but bigger would be better if you can.

6. blaundee

Aug 3, 2009
    I have another question... What would you reccomend I cover it with? I am planning to cover it with chicken wire, making a welded pipe frame to hold it up, but wonder about that netting stuff that some people have... Does it hold up well over the years?

7. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    I used chicken wire. My cats walk across the top of the run so I think other predators could too. I know they can get through chicken wire but the deer netting is light plastic and rips alot easier.
    I stapled the chicken wire on top to the 2x6's and nailed a 2x4 to the front of the coop to attach the wire on.

8. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    If you only need to keep out hawks and other birds of prey, garden trellis netting or deer netting are probably cheaper and because they are flexible and come in wide widths are easier to work with too. You would need your fences built reasonably climb-proof though, like with *good reliable* electric wire.

If OTOH the top has to keep out foxes etc that've climbed the fence, you'll probably need something stronger than just chickenwire.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

9. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Heyah blaundee!

The standard is indeed 10 sq ft per bird, and for 100 birds, that's a big area to cover! Also, I know that depending on 'where' in NM you are, you probably get some snow. Something to keep in mind is that chicken wire and other mesh will hold snow and get dragged down, so you might want to consider that too.

Have you looked through the 'Show Me Your RUN!' thread? There's lots of ideas there and Opa talks about snow and supporting the covering on the last page. Just thought you would want to consider that. mmmm, here's the link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=160726&p=13

I'm
    wondering about several pen areas, so you can seperate some out from others at times too since your talking about something on that scale. With 100 birds, you can have several different problems goin on, or even want to keep some breeding groups together at times. Not sure of course what your plans are for that, but it occured to me that it might be worth considering.

10. 1stepcloser

1stepcloser Poultry In Motion

Sep 16, 2009
    Dover, TN
    OMG...that run is amazing. I am completely jealous!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by