How big do your BR hens dress out?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by onthespot, Jul 25, 2011.

1. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I just dressed my first hen this morning. She was spurred and noisy and today was trash day, so she went. She dressed out at nine and a half pounds, skinned, gutted, wings off and as much fat as possible trimmed too. She was a lot more meat than I was expecting... May have to cut her up and use two crock pots! LOL What is normal dressed weight for BR hens?

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    She's the one in front.
    [​IMG]

3. jasonm11

jasonm11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    she was a he if it had spurs

4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    No, she's a she and was full of eggs, and layin 2-3 a week. Never gobbled. But she did kyuk kyuk kyuk very loud, which was what got her picked to go.

5. goosemama

goosemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Forestville, New York
    How old were your turkeys in the photo you submitted? I have turkeys for the first time and they are now 8 weeks and no where near as big as yours. They are on pasture along with our geese & chickens plus get 20% protein pellets. Having never raised or dressed any out before (only chickens) so I am curious to know how long it will take them to get to a reasonable size? I wouldn't mind even 12lbs as that's the maximum size for my rotisserie oven.

6. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    That one hen is (was, RIP) maybe heading to two years old, but has not changed really, size wise since she was about nine months to a year.

7. chichick

chichick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Hen+spurs=WIERD [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by