1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how big is a bantam

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Henny peeny, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Henny peeny

Henny peeny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    NC
    You say that my rooster may be showable but he is not a standard so I wonder how big a bantam can be

[​IMG]

I am hoping to show how big he is he is not as big as my mob (5 hens) so I wonder if he would be a bantam all bantams I have seen at the show are tiny fellas and he is not tiny he is between the size of my hens

[​IMG]

And a standard bot my hen have gone to chicken heaven so you think he could still fit into a bantam I am thinking of showing him but due to size I wonder if he will be disqualified.

Rhayden

Thanks to all that can answer this

2. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    We need to know what breed it is. The weights allowed differ a little based on the breed.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If he is the rooster in your first thread, I believe that he is a crossbred and as such would be ineligible for showing. As wren has stated there are standards for each breed of bantam and weights vary considerably.

4. Henny peeny

May 4, 2007
    NC
    I thought he was a cross for how big he is someowhere on this or another one said he was a brassy back I think and could try but I figure he wuld not be showable he is very good with his ladys and you could not have a better rooster (no offence out there. His ladys when broody one in their life and he sat with them and watched over them, He never tried to attack when I look to see how things were under them I am gonna miss him so much when his life ends he is the originall rooster I had from the begining. He is so old I don't know how old he is but I would say at least 10. and is not have a lick of trouble with his ladys at this time.

Rhayden

might haps you say what he could be a cross of he is a rose comb.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    You know, he just might be a brassy back rosecomb. A better picture would help -

6. Henny peeny

May 4, 2007
    NC
    [​IMG]

This is another picture I don't know if he is crossed I always thought so since he is bigger then any bantam I have seen

Rhayden

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by