How big is Banty?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BantyHugger, Jul 27, 2008.

1. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    I have 3 D'uccle banties and 24 standard chickens. I underestimated the small size of banties. How big will they get compared to Standards? (pics welcome but not needed)
    Thanks
    Mariah

2. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

My cochin bantam is about 1/3 to 1/4 the size of the friend's standard...

...love my compact birds!!

3. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    Being a banty is almost relative. Some banties are bigger than others. OEGB, Serama, and some Silkies are pretty small. Cochins and American Silkies are a little larger.

(Some may argue but yes, there are two sizes of silkies...the American strains tend to be larger, but they're still smaller than a standard breed bird of any other breed.)

4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    male Orpingtons top out at 2.2 pounds, I believe Silkies and Cornish are a bit larger. Maybe 8 ounces more. Cochins are maybe 1 1/2 pounds. Old English game are around 20 ounces and Seramas are measured in grams and weigh under a pound. leghorns and RiR are about 1 2/3 pounds. Most Bantams are weighed in ounces not pounds so that kinda gives you an idea how small they are.

A standard leghorn is between 4-5 pounds. Standard Cochins 8-10 pounds. Orpingtons 10 pounds.

D'Uccles arent the biggest bantams. They are about middle sized for a bantam. I think they weigh about 28-30 ounces. Pretty close to a RIR bantam and leghorn bantam and rock bantam.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  5. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    And don't forget about the Oriental Games, they have great height in bantam size and will weigh close to three pounds. The Standard stock for the Shamo will be around 26 or so inches tall and weigh out at around 13 or so pounds. I have bantam Malays that are taller and nearly as heavy as my laying hens. Now there are only a handfull of true bantams out there, breeds which there are no standard sizes for (as with the Silkie) and there are standard birds that have been bred down to bantam form. And yes they have been breeding the Silkies up for some reason, I liked them more as small birds, much better looking.

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I'm a fan of the small silkie too. Any larger and I think they start to look like over grown mops!

7. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Quote:[​IMG]

8. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Quote:[​IMG]

yes indeed

9. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I have never seen a bantam Shamo!

That would be neat to see!

Yeah and the Cornish bantam weighs about 40 some ounces too.

10. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    Quote:I've got one of each size, and my littlest one is the spitfire!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by