How big is to big?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 78Vette, Mar 25, 2012.

1. 78Vette

78Vette Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2012
    Stuarts Draft Va,
    I am going to turn my 6x12 shed into a coop. I want to keep some of it as storge and some for my hens. I was thinking about making it 4x6 with a door out to a 4x12 run out side. Is this going to be to big or just right for me to add more hens later?

2. NattiFan

NattiFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    Plainfield, CT
    I can tell you that I have 5 girls in a 6x4 right now and I wish I went bigger. By the 3 sq foot rule, I could have 8 in there. You are always better to go bigger than you think you need. I'm kicking myself in the butt that I didn't go bigger. Don't kick youself in the butt later [​IMG]

3. 78Vette

Mar 25, 2012
    Stuarts Draft Va,
    The good thing with the shed is I can make it bigger. I may do a 6x6 or so. The more I read on here bigger is better if I want more later.

4. NattiFan

NattiFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    Plainfield, CT
    Yes, when it comes to chicken coops, bigger is always better ;)

5. Nsampsel

Nsampsel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2012
    East Central Ohio
    I have a 96 sq ft run & a 25 sq ft coop for a total of 10 birds (4 standard chicks, 4 bantum chicks, & 2 mallards). It leaves me enuf room to add 1-2 more birds depending on what they are. So you just have to calculate how many birds you have & how many you may want to add & go from there. They say 4 sq feet of coop for standard chicks, 2 for bantums, 4 for small ducks & 6-8 for large ducks. Run should be 10 sq ft for each standard chick, 5 for bantums, 6-8 for small ducks & 10-12 for large ducks. My coop is actually a bit small if my mallards decide they want in too but I'm looking at building them their own dog-box style coop at ground level since I have heard ducks prefer lower nesting areas. Right now the size isn't really an issue cuz they are all only about 4 weeks old.

6. 78Vette

Mar 25, 2012
    Stuarts Draft Va,
    Did some work on it today. I am going to make my run a 8x16 with a roof. My coop will also be a little bigger then I was thinking aswell. I will have to get some pictures up this weekend of how its coming along.

7. 78Vette

Mar 25, 2012
    Stuarts Draft Va,
    Here are a few pictures of my coop so far. I have finished putting up the wire on the out side and have a door to the out side aswell. I will have it done this weekend. Then I will put up more pictures.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by