How Big is Too Big?

MPORT

In the Brooder
Nov 3, 2017
Texas Panhandle
Hello! I'm going to be constructing a chicken coop over the winter in order to start my laying hen flock next spring. Currently drawing plans and have a question about coop size.

I'm planning to start with 6 birds, so, according to the square footage recommendations on this site I should have at least 24 square feet of coop space and at least 60 square feet of run space. I'm going to build larger than that to give the birds a bit more space and pre-plan for birds that I will want to add in the future (chicken math!).

My main concern is that of warmth in the winter. I am not planning to add a heat lamp to the coop and want the girls to be comfortable. Is there a point (within reason - not planning a huge barn) where the coop is too large to keep the hens comfortable in chilly temps? I hope my question makes sense. I live in the Texas panhandle and winter temps commonly drop into the teens or single digits.

It's a bit of a misconception that a smaller coop is a warmer coop. What is really needed to keep chickens comfortable, regardless of how many birds you have and no matter how small or big the coop, is a dry and well vented coop. As long as the coop is dry (no rain or snow getting blown in) and well vented (moisture and ammonia can escape and fresh air can get in), the chickens can handle temps well below zero.

:eek:Wait, you're building your coop BEFORE acquiring chickens?!?! Good job! :hmm

As long as you have good ventilation but no drafts, I don't think too big is anything to worry about, especially down in Texas. Lots of people keep chickens with no additional heat in much colder climates. I would worry more about heat and humidity in something too small.

I say, plan for chicken math and go big if you can. One day you might want to divide off an area for a brooder or something......

:eek:Wait, you're building your coop BEFORE acquiring chickens?!?! Good job! :hmm

I say, plan for chicken math and go big if you can. One day you might want to divide off an area for a brooder or something......

Hah! It's been difficult to restrain myself from running out to buy some hens and a cheap coop to use until I get the big one built. I mean, I want eggs next spring right?! I'm staying strong at this moment, but stay tuned ;)

It's a bit of a misconception that a smaller coop is a warmer coop. What is really needed to keep chickens comfortable, regardless of how many birds you have and no matter how small or big the coop, is a dry and well vented coop. As long as the coop is dry (no rain or snow getting blown in) and well vented (moisture and ammonia can escape and fresh air can get in), the chickens can handle temps well below zero.
Good to know! Thanks for the response!

Go BIG!! Chicken math is for real! I thought not me. I have 4 and everything will be perfect. I had some behavioral issues and long story short, I have 1 hen and starting over with muliple breeds of Bantams. Like, 22 Bantams!

Go BIG!! Chicken math is for real! I thought not me. I have 4 and everything will be perfect. I had some behavioral issues and long story short, I have 1 hen and starting over with muliple breeds of Bantams. Like, 22 Bantams!

We were gonna have 8 chickens... TOPS..... yeah, we're at 8... plus 20.... PLUS 13 in the incubator right now... heh....

Back
Top Bottom