How big is too big?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by WomanInTheWoods, Jun 13, 2011.

1. WomanInTheWoods

WomanInTheWoods Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2009
    Hi all,

I've been reading a lot here and it's got me wondering, at what size would I be required to have a permit to build my coop (I'm in Virginia)? We've already started building it, its dimensions are 10'x20' (only starting with a few chicks, but I've accounted for chicken math [​IMG] lol). There's no floor, we're keeping dirt floors to implement the DLM. It's a log coop, and those 22' logs are HEAVY! I really don't want to go get a permit, and I don't want to take apart what we've managed to get together so far. (I think I'd cry!) I thought as long as a structure wasn't permanent, meaning no foundation, you didn't need a permit. Was I wrong? I know these things are variable from state to state, I guess I'm just looking to see what's the norm here while I work up to looking up the number and calling the county. [​IMG]

TIA,,
    Carol

2. latebloomer

latebloomer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    green mountain state
    where i am you have to be under 100 square feet

ten feet from side property lines, twenty from the front, and thirty from the rear property line

i tried to find out online without going into city hall, and consider myself fairly internet savvy, but i just couldn't find anything,

so i went in to see what the rules are.

better safe than sorry, especially if you're in a place with a zealous inspector

3. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

I lived in VA. for a few years. You'd better get a permit. The inspectors and regulations are strict!

4. WomanInTheWoods

Sep 8, 2009
    Ugh. I guess I'd better start looking into this before we put another log up.

We live out in the county on 11+ acres and the coop will be behind our house. No one would know it's there unless someone came around snooping, but better be safe than to pay fines later. It still frustrates me to no end that I have to get permission to do anything on my property. [​IMG]

5. latebloomer

latebloomer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    green mountain state
    i understand that frustration, but commend you on heading off trouble by seeing what options are available to you

6. WomanInTheWoods

Sep 8, 2009
    OMG! I got in just by the skin of my teeth! I called the county bldg insp. and she said as long as we're under 200 sq ft we don't need a permit. Our bldg is 10' x 20'. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by