how big is your flock? (number of chickens?)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by flockoffour, Dec 6, 2012.

1. 3 or less

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  2. 4-8

11 vote(s)
    28.9%
  3. 9-14

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  4. 15-20

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  5. 20-35

10 vote(s)
    26.3%
  6. 40 +

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. flockoffour

flockoffour Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2012
    West Coast
    Hi I was trying to find out how many chickens the majority has, so please answer the poll. Thanks

2. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    I have 4 layers and 2 banties for brooding that will stay and two cockerel Silkies that I am working to rehome. Hopefully the boys will have a new home soon. :)

So six permanent residents.

3. maidenwolfx80

maidenwolfx80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    I have 41 birds. 2 of which are turkey and 10 are roosters. I have a mixed flock all different breeds. I think the most of one breed I have is 3 of one type.

4. Chesterchook

Chesterchook Chillin' With My Peeps

Nice variety! Which are your favorites (chickens and turkeys) and why?

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I have 6 bantams right now. But, I just recently downsized from more than 60. I'm much happier with 6, for sure!!!!

6. maidenwolfx80

maidenwolfx80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    I cant pick, they all are my favorites. The turkeys are very personable and my chickens were all raisedbeing touched and handled and love interaction with me. I have bantams and LF and all of them are like little puppies and come running when they see me coming. My turkeys stand out on the porch and gobble and look in th door waiting for me to come back out. I love them all.

7. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    Ten chickens. 8 girls and 2 3 month olds. ( one is a rooster ) 3 RIR , 2 buff orphingtons, one a white brahama, 1 black copper maran, 1 astrolorp and 2 EE
    The one RIR is also an EE but looks like a RIR red. She gives green eggs.

8. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

I have 17 chickens in my laying flock (Langshan's, Sex-Link's, WLH's and Araucana's), 5 bantams (frizzle's, RIR's, WLH's), 3 chicks (wyndottes's, WLH), 1 Rooster (RIR) and 9 fertile eggs (Araucana x RIR). So 26 Chickens.

9. kian

kian Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancaster, CA
    I have ten. We started out with 8 seven week old chicks, then last month one of them passed away rather unexpectedly. My husband convinced me to get a couple more (I was sad and didn't really want to run out and 'replace' her right away), so we got 3 ten week olds. They've actually done alright mixing in. At first a couple of my bigger (15 weeks at the time) NHRs went after them, holding on to tail feathers and all, but that only lasted the first day (we got them late in the day). They still peck occasionally and some time run up and chase them off of something, but they all go into the coop together and there have been no major incidents so I'm pretty pleased.

10. birdonerous

birdonerous Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2012
    NW Kansas, USA
    We have five at the moment, three Leghorns, one Buff Orpington, and a runt Silver Wyandotte. Hoping to increase the flock with plenty of Buckeyes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by