How big of a brooder box to I need for 15 chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DawnB, Feb 6, 2013.

1. DawnB

DawnB Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi all...I'm ordering my first set of chicks the Saturday (don't know who's more excited...me or my kids! [​IMG]) But I have a question. Roughly how big a box/carton/container do I need for 15 chicks. These birds will be in the house till AT LEAST the end of April...and you never know...it snows in May sometimes up here (but hopefully not this year [​IMG])...

So, I'd love to hear recommendations. I've seen all the pics and I have some ideas, but want to make sure I have enough room for a long enough time. Swapping out for bigger boxes only seems like a pain.

Thanks!
    Dawn

2. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    Well...this might seem extreme but if you are going to have them in a brooder box for that long, I would say a minimum of 2 sq ft per chick. You also have to keep in mind that as they get older they will roost on whatever is available, sides of the brooder box (if no lid) or in my case they like to fly out and roost on my DHs motorcycle and tool bench! SO some sort of cover would be reccommended by me!

3. DawnB

DawnB Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for the numbers. And, yeah, I was figuring it had to be on the larger side. I am going to try and find an appliance box or something along those lines.

And yes, a cover is necessary...we've got cats. But thanks for the info. It really helps me to picture what the end product needs to be.

By the way...I'd love to see some pics of "motorcyle-riding chicks"...what a hoot! HA!

4. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    Sorry no pictures of the chicks on the motorcycle-couldn't have that evidence fall into the wrong hands!

Building for chickens-always go bigger then you think is needed!

Best of Luck - make sure you post some pictures of your new fuzzy butts!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by