How big of a brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Arkantex, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Arkantex

Arkantex Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    West Texas
    Hey guys. I have a question. I am about to get 25 baby chicks. I was wondering how big does my brooder need to be to house this many chicks. Also, how long do you keep them in the brooder before you put them into the coop? Thanks

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    It depends: how long are you going to keep them in the brooder? Will you have a grow-out pen? Are there adult chickens in the coop right now?

3. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I have a 60 gallon storage tote...they outgrew it FAST. I had 14 babies in there.

4. Arkantex

Aug 17, 2011
    West Texas
    n

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  5. Arkantex

Aug 17, 2011
    West Texas
    Well thanks for the replies but we jumped the gun a little. We actually changed our mindes. Instead of starting out with 25 chickens we are going to start out with 4-8. Make sure that this is something we want to do on a larger scale. Also, I am going to convert a dog house I built into a tractor for the chickens. We just couldn't decide where to build a large, permenant coop. Having a smaller number of chickens and a tractor around the yard and get a more accurate list of pros and cons of every area.

6. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Quote:Very smart and get it down and then start adding as you grow [​IMG] SMART [​IMG]

[​IMG] to the BYC

7. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    your going to regret not getting 25 when you realize how nice they are and the shortage of eggs you will have with 4-8 .... GET 25!!!! i have 80 comming next week [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Arkantex

Aug 17, 2011
    West Texas
    Well eventually we want to get there but we want to ease into it

9. shanilynn2010

shanilynn2010 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2010
    georgia
    You will need a big brooder bc u have 25 babies! Moving them is the going to be 4 to 5 weeks they have to be fully feather

10. Gyoza

Gyoza Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2011
    We are expecting our 50 red sexlinked chicks to arrive sometime early Dec. How big of a brooder do I need and when can I transfer them into coop?

We currently only have 10 one week old ducklings. (building a duplex coop, so in future chick and duck can see each other but no touch [​IMG])

Thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by