How big of a coop and how much would it cost?

CubanRooster

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 13, 2012
Florida
Hello! I was wondering is it cheaper to buy a store bought coop or build one yourself? also how big would a coop need to be and how many nesting boxes for the eggs would I need for around 5 hens? Thank you
big_smile.png

Build your own! Most store bought ones are garbage. For five standard hens I would give them 3 sq. feet per bird. I would guess two or three nesting boxes would work fine. Make your coop bigger than needed in case you want to add more chickens later.

Build your own! Most store bought ones are garbage. For five standard hens I would give them 3 sq. feet per bird. I would guess two or three nesting boxes would work fine. Make your coop bigger than needed in case you want to add more chickens later.

Ditto. If I could make that double-bold and #48 font, I still couldn't stress that point enough! I planned very precisely for my four girls, and now I am seriously craving some blue/green or chocolate egg layers, but have no where to put them! Build it bigger now, and save yourself the regrets later!

mm

Last edited:
Thank you so much! :) sounds like a plan then...I agree with the making it bigger first because that is true...I may want to add more later.
hugs.gif
yesss.gif

Build it yourself, but allow plenty of time to get it done. It is cheaper than buying one, but still expensive if you use new lumber and materials. Alot of people are very resourceful here and have found second hand materials... that can save alot of $$$$.

I'll second what everyone else has said 100%.

Build it yourself = much cheaper.

Go way bigger than you think you need. I built one coop/run for 5 hens. I added on two more coop/runs, and now (counting biddies), I have 19..... (And I'm setting more in the bator this weekend!
hide.gif
big_smile.png
).

Good luck, and welcome to the addiction!

I started with five birds and in a month I was up to ten! The most i have had at one time is about 100 now I'm down to 50. So definetly build bigger than you think.

Back
Top Bottom