how big of a coop do i need for 23 chickens?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jakes farm, Feb 27, 2012.

1. jakes farm

jakes farm New Egg

Feb 13, 2012
    fortuna ca,
    just got 23 chicks iv built a coop out of my old dog hose its about 5 feet by 8 and 4 to 5 feet tall and thats inside my dog pin that is 10 by 25 . im thinkin of bulding my fienced in area 20 by 30 and leaving the coop the same what do u think?

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Honestly, you're going to need a lot more coop space. The general rule of thumb is 4 square feet per bird in the coop and 10 square feet per bird in the pen (not pin). Your 5x8 coop is 40 square feet which is big enough for 10 adults. Your pen, at 300 square feet is good for 20 birds, so you can probably get away with putting 23 in it, but you will need to expand your coop quite a bit. For roost space, allow about 15" per bird, but you will also need space for nest boxes (5-6 for that number) and a dry place for feed. Plus, on days when the weather is not conducive to them going outside, they need enough space to move around that they don't end up feather picking each other due to over-crowding.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Agree. 23 chickens might roost up in what you have, perhaps, but that's about all. 23 full sized birds require a LOT of space during those cooped up days of storms and nasty weather.

I also think the "run" for 23 chickens simply couldn't be large enough. About a half acre would be just about right. [​IMG] But seriously, the run should be huge. In a few days, is is little more than a dirt/mud/dust outdoor cage. Think BIG. You'll never regret it.

4. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    x2. Actually I did mean to add that more is definitely better but forgot - I'm glad Fred was on the ball. As he said, with too little area, they will eat all the grass, roots and all, and it will be a barren, muddy area thereafter. If you were able to provide 2 runs the size you have now and alternate them to rest in between, that would be another option.

5. jakes farm

jakes farm New Egg

Feb 13, 2012
    fortuna ca,
    thanks to both of you i already had the plan for a biger run now i have to check my materials and see what i need to buy for the new coop.

6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I'm building a new three sided coop right now . The coop is 140 sq ft & the run is 280 sq ft its pretty big. I'm gonna put 25 pullets in it. I like alot of room for my birds. I have another three sided coop can't remember the coop size but the total measurements together is 330 sq ft & I have 16 hens & one roo in it. My four sided coop which I'll never build another one is 80 sq ft coop & 150 sq ft run houses 10 hens so you can see I give them plenty of space. They all still gripe everyday wanting to get out. You can't ever please them. Biggers always better in my mind.

7. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I'm building a new three sided coop right now . The coop is 140 sq ft & the run is 280 sq ft its pretty big. I'm gonna put 25 pullets in it. I like alot of room for my birds. I have another three sided coop can't remember the coop size but the total measurements together is 330 sq ft & I have 16 hens & one roo in it. My four sided coop which I'll never build another one is 80 sq ft coop & 150 sq ft run houses 10 hens so you can see I give them plenty of space. They all still gripe everyday wanting to get out. You can't ever please them. Biggers always better in my mind.

8. Jimsbirdhouse

Jimsbirdhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2010
    Gonzales, Texas
    RH, It"s time to break out the CAMERA !

9. Yukonchick

Yukonchick Chillin' With My Peeps

We're gonna build a hen house that measures 8ft by 10ft. i'm thinkin that would hold about 20 hens comfortably. Does that sound about right? \i'm not sure how big the run should be.[​IMG]

10. Yukonchick

Yukonchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Poor birds. No room.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by