How big of a coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by luvmyEs, Dec 12, 2011.

1. luvmyEs

luvmyEs Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    How big of a coop should I be building? I am thinking 4x6 but I just want to verify it with you guys. Also how many nest boxes should I have? I will have 6-8 hens and 1 rooster. Thanks!

2. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    Welcome to BYC!!!

rule of thumb, 4 sq ft per chicken inside, 10 sq ft of run and nesting boxes 1 per every 3-4 hens My girls all tend to lay in the same box...

3. hemet dennis

hemet dennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Once you find out the most you think you will ever have then double that, but then you will get to the point that you will still run out of room [​IMG]

4. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

We also went with about 4 sq ft per chicken. This is not counting nest box space (which, in our coop, sticks out of the wall).

5. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    chicken math! I started with 6 now have 15 and plans to order 6 more in the spring! You WILL want more!

6. Zoomom

Zoomom Certified Cackleberry Consumer

Jan 22, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    I think you'll probably want bigger than that for 7 to 9 birds. I have 5 birds (2 banties and 3 standard) in a 4 x 6 coop with a 4 x 6 run, and I wouldn't feel comfortable with more in there. Maybe if you have outside nest boxes it would be ok, and a bigger run. But I find once you put the nest boxes and food and water and a roost in there, it isn't much space. Just in case they have to be locked up for some reason.

Standard guideline is 10 square feet per standard size bird (mine have 4.8 each, but two are smaller birds and they get supervised garden time outside the run).

It is usually 1 nest per 2 birds I think, but if you have a long trough, they will be just as happy. Sometimes they all like a certain box anyways, and wait in line. Mine have a rectangular plastic container with a hole cut in one side and it is roomy.

Hope this helps.

Zoomom

7. The most common formula is 4 sq.ft per chicken. of coop space. IMPO to have room for roosts, nest boxes, feeder, waterer (without getting poo in it), and maybe even 1 or 2 more birds that you are bound to want...I go with 8 sq.ft. per bird in the coop and 16 minimum per bird in the run. That lets you have a little more freedom of positioning everything else.

You will be perfectly fine with 2 nest boxes. most backyard chicken people agree on 4 hens per box and most state ag people will say 6 per box, so 2 is plenty.

8. luvmyEs

luvmyEs Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:[​IMG]

9. ipie68

ipie68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2011
    Penfield, PA
    Mine is about 4x8 w/ 8 chickens , bu they re gonna be out side alot

23]\\5h[op/dry,0b6iy

10. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    my coop is 4 X 8 and i have 10 chickens.....and it is plenty big...they do free range all day.....as long as you get all the chickens at the same time
    and they are all friends...you dont have a problem....if you were to bring in a new chicken...then it gets a little crowded!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by