how big of a house...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by triplejfarms, Mar 22, 2011.

1. triplejfarms

triplejfarms Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2011
    how big of a house will 6 ducks need , they are blue swedish and our winters are long/cold here so i dont want it to small for them...also insulating,do they need insulating/ heat lamp ect...we are from alberta and it gets -40 deg celcius here....new to ducks so i need many suggestions! thank you!

[​IMG]

2. Eroc1_1

Eroc1_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    I think you may want 10 sq/ft per bird if you were gonna keep them inside all winter. But from what I have read and heard, ducks don't mind the cold weather as long as they can get out of the wind. A heat lamp may be a personal preference - it may help with egg production and heat. I live in NE Ohio and I did insulate the walls and ceiling of our duck house with 1.5" & 2" rigid foam insulation sandwiched between 1/2" plywood, but I tend to over-kill things. They might be fine without a heat lamp or insulation as long as the house isn't drafty and it is dry - but I am new to ducks this spring so I don't have a lot of experience.

3. triplejfarms

triplejfarms Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2011
    thank you! i have heard that as well about winter but i am no expert myself..i am new to ducks..LOL just wanted to make sure, i overkill things as well i have raptor cages for my chickens, LOl thank you!

4. Eroc1_1

Eroc1_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    I have learned a lot on this particular forum on ducks. PLUS, I bought an older used book called "Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks" by Dave Holderread. I have read that book a few times and it is a good guideline.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by