How big of a market is the game chickens and the larger breed chickens

fisher101

Songster
6 Years
Jan 25, 2014
I would like to get into selling eggs and chicks maybe was jw how much of a market there are for game chickens and large breed chickens. I was just throwing it around but would like to make a little business up with selling dome chickens and i would get all necessary things to sell all over the country if needed any help would be great

Honestly it's a labor of love with little pay off and LOT'S of competition... it takes quite a while JUST to cover your expenses... but it CAN be done.

In my personal experience... Silkies (unfortunately) are very popular and the easiest to sell and make money on.

What makes it easier for the large hatcheries to make money (aside from not keeping their own birds).. the contracted breeding facilities have the ability to buy and store LARGE amounts of feed and such so that they are paying a much more discounted price than those of us who must buy smaller amounts at retail price. Plus they may be getting subsidies or tax breaks for being "farmers". If you do buy larger amounts... beware SOO many things can go awry and cause mold and such.. for example a dry container that sweats on the inside.

I am not very familiar with the game fowl community. But after working hard to get (not from hatchery stock) and develop genetics anyone would be proud to have... I was able to sell my French black copper Marans and my Silkie hatching eggs for $65/dozen and unsexed chicks for $10 each. With NO NPIP and only using my local craigslist farm and garden section occasionally... I was able to make about $1400 last year without trying, just pursuing my hobby. I use the term "make" loosely as it does not include my housing or feed cost, bedding, fencing, labor, incubators, electricity, and the like. It did cover those expenses and put about 50 boys in my freezer and provide my friends and family with all the eggs we can eat.

To me the key is that you have to something to set yourself apart from the hatchery birds that can be bought already sexed for $3-4 all day long every day. The way to do this is being able to select for quality and cull for ALL defects in the breeding stock. Also you should decide where you stand on Marek's vaccine. I personally will NOT allow Marek's vaccinated birds into my stock. Yet some people will only buy birds that have been vaccinated.

Adding your general location to your profile can help other make the most relevant suggestions possible at a glance without having to ask first. ;) For example.. if you're in southern California or Utah, with their recent New Castle outbreak and quarantine.. anyone would be crazy to be thinking about starting up right now in those locations. :(

I'm sure it CAN be done! I might try to start local hobby style first and get some experience before going all in. Suggestion being made, not knowing your current level of poultry or business experience.

Good luck, and happy adventuring! :fl:wee

Back
Top Bottom