How big of a pen inside would i need for.....

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Shkittles, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Shkittles

Shkittles Chillin' With My Peeps

1 Salmon Faverolle Roo and 3 Salmon Faverolle hens? Any plans for multiple breeder pens w/ seperate runs? I'm going to need to make about 4 pens & runs in an 12X8 shed for all of my chickens and i'm not sure that's big enough......

!Shkittles!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2009
  2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    It all depends on how many birds in each pin you are planning to have, make your own judgment and do not let it be crowded, so if you put say 4 hens in each pin you need at least 40 sq feet for the run and 16 sq feet for the little place they call it home.
    and I have seen here somebody who has very beautiful breeding pins, I forgot her name.

good luck

Omran

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    !Shkittles! :

1 Salmon Faverolle Roo and 3 Salmon Faverolle hens? Any plans for multiple breeder pens w/ seperate runs? I'm going to need to make about 4 pens & runs in an 12X8 shed for all of my chickens and i'm not sure that's big enough......

!Shkittles!

You may be saying is that you intend to have 4 breeder pens and each breeder pen will house 3 full-sized hens and 1 full-sized rooster. You have a 12 x 8 shed that will be cut up into coop sections.

The shed is 96 square feet / 4 = 24 square feet per pen / 4 chickens = 6 square feet per bird. In your climate you will have days the chickens probably won't spend much time in the run, so the 6 square feet is probably a good size. As Omran said, for 4 birds you need a minimum of 40 square feet for the run. More is always better.

Now, if you are saying you want to use the shed itself as the coop and run, you need to provide 14 square feet per bird (4 for the coop and 10 for the run) so 96 /14 = 6.8 birds. So if you are asking if this space is big enough for a total of 4 chickens, yes it is. You could divide it into 2 pens with 3 birds in each pen.​

4. Shkittles

Shkittles Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:You may be saying is that you intend to have 4 breeder pens and each breeder pen will house 3 full-sized hens and 1 full-sized rooster. You have a 12 x 8 shed that will be cut up into coop sections.

The shed is 96 square feet / 4 = 24 square feet per pen / 4 chickens = 6 square feet per bird. In your climate you will have days the chickens probably won't spend much time in the run, so the 6 square feet is probably a good size. As Omran said, for 4 birds you need a minimum of 40 square feet for the run. More is always better.

Now, if you are saying you want to use the shed itself as the coop and run, you need to provide 14 square feet per bird (4 for the coop and 10 for the run) so 96 /14 = 6.8 birds. So if you are asking if this space is big enough for a total of 4 chickens, yes it is. You could divide it into 2 pens with 3 birds in each pen.

sorry it wasn't very clear but what i would do is separate the shed into 4 breeding pens and they would each have separate runs outside the shed. one of the pens would house 3 full sized hens and 1 full sized rooster. the others would house the rest of my 12 chicks. total i have 16 chicks in the brooder right now. Would my 12X8 be big enough to make 4 separate pens for 16 chicks if i put 4 in each one? How big shoud the pens be? How big should the outside runs be then for 4 chickens?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by