How big of a quilt will 3yds make? (updated as I finish quilt)

Zahboo

Simply Stated
10 Years
Feb 3, 2009
Hope Mills, NC
I got 3 yards of fabric, 3 different colors/prints. If I was going to just make simple blocks 8.5 inches before sewn (8inch blocks when together), and 1/4th seam allowances does anyone know how big the end result will be. I'm no good at math. Rough estimates or anything.

Last edited:
Thanks for that link. I have been ruminating about starting something, but simple.
I bet I could do that.
wink.png
it's now on my fav's link.

Quote:
Ready for a math lesson? Is your fabric 45" wide? If so once you trim off the selvage (white edge usually) you will have approx. 43" of width left to use. Divide 45 by 8.5 and it gives you ? Now you have the length of the fabric to work with also, so 36 divided by 8.5, and that will give you how many blocks? So the first answer is a little bit over 5 squares and the second answer is slightly over 4. 5x4 is 20, so each yard should give you 20 squares. (if the fabric was cut straight at the store.) Now with all three fabrics you will have 60 squares that when sewn together will be 8" finished. If you did 6 squares across and 10 squared down, your quilt would be 48X80 That will make a nice size quilt for the couch or maybe a twin bed. But it going to be an odd size to buy backing fabric for and will need to be pieced. Bottom line...you have 60 squares to work with, if the fabric was cut straight to begin with, which usually is not the case. I also plan on getting a few less blocks.

Edit..if you have three yards of each fabric you will have 180 squares, but I was reading it as you saying you had a yard of each fabric. Best wishes with the new project
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
That's the pattern I've been thinking off
smile.png
That size will be PERFECT! Yay! I am going to have a simple sheet set with a bunch of decorative pillow and have this folded up at the foot of my bed. I'm making it because we are moving and it will be the theme of my new room
smile.png

I did that one yesterday for a craft hope project. Had some gorgious asian print that was discontinued, plenty for a lap and a preemie blanket (24-28 inches, they're used in incubators). So I did them up, need to grab backing for them.

i like making baby sized quilts/afgans to test out new patterns, that way if I don't love it, it's over soon, and I can donate the "samples" to kids who need them win/win.

I am unusure what I'm going to use for the back. I really like zebra print, was thinking of using that for the back. Any idea of colors for the border, I'm horrible at it!

Quote:
On the selvage should be a little set of squares or dots. Those are the colors used in printing the fabric. Take that strip of dots to the fabric store and find one of those colors in something you like (I pick smaller prints for borders, but there's not really a rule). For example the one I did yesterday is a deep navy with some burgandy in the print, so for the border I'm using the burgandy in the dot to pick up a fabric that'll pick up the burgandy colors.

Back
Top Bottom