how big of footprint on cattle panel hoop house?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Tala, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

How big of footprint can you make out of a cattle pannel (like a hoop house)??? I ask because I'm thinking that may be the easiest way to "fence" my small garden off from my free-rangers.

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I can make a hoop high enough to stand up in (call it six feet) while covering a span about eight feet wide.

.....Alan.

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

A.T. Hagan :

I can make a hoop high enough to stand up in (call it six feet) while covering a span about eight feet wide.

.....Alan.

I'm only 5ft tall [​IMG]
    Thanks

*goes out to measure garden length*​

4. exsia

exsia Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2009
    Damascus, Oregon
    me too! But my hubby is closer to 6ft tall so when we made our cattle panel hoop house/tractor last year, we had to make it 8x8x6 high to accomodate him [​IMG] this is any easy project that can be done in one afternoon [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

IF you are using 2 panels to cover the roof, multiply the distance of each panel by 4. This will give you a "theoretical circle".

That distance (theoretical circle) is C circumference. Using C=pi times D (diameter), You divide pi into C to get D.

D is the "approximate "footprint" of your "hoophouse".

I have done this when I built my Greenhouse (hoophouse).

So 4 times your panel distance divided by 3.14 will give you an "approximate" width of your hoophouse. (Approximate, because you can "cheat" a little and be OK.)

Pretty simple, really.
    -Junkmanme- [​IMG]
    P.S. Incidentally, 1/2 of D is R (radius)..This will give your the height of your "hoophouse", more or less.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  6. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:I failed geometry once and barely skimped by the second time. Yer speakin greek to me! lol

Give me a complex chemical equation any day!

My garden has crossties around it, and the one on the longest side is 9ft long. I think I can make this work since I'm only 5ft tall, plus once the garden gets up I don't really do much weeding anyway [​IMG]

I expect that I may plant the tomatoes near the edges and use part of the "wall" for their supports. Last year I grew tomatoes on the ground (no staking) and produced more than I could eat --- AND the chickens left them alone if I was careful to pick the red ones off before I let them out of the coop, but this year I want to grow a few more things that they might find rather tasty! [​IMG]

7. Junkmanme

Perhaps THIS sketch (taken from Robert Plamondon's website) will be of some help.

This is the "website" it was taken from: attra.ncat.org/ attra-pub/poulthous.html

Here is the sketch:

[​IMG]

The Height of your hoophouse will be "approximately" 1/2 of the width ("footprint").

Hope this helps a little. [​IMG]

-Junkmanme-[​IMG]

8. Junkmanme

Tala,

A few years ago, I built a greenhouse (hoophouse). I used PVC pipe and plastic sheeting, which would, of course, NOT BE PRACTICAL for raising fowl......but the ideas and principles are basically the same.

Here is a picture of the inside during construction. Perhaps THIS will also give you some ideas or guidance.

[​IMG]

The door-frame bracing may be of some use to you, as well as the design of the Center top-beam support.

GOOD LUCK !!! [​IMG]
    -Junkmanme- [​IMG]

9. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    Chookaholic also did one, and has great pictures here on a thread somewhere - he mentioned size of materials, etc. so between him and Junkmanme, you should get a good idea of what you need. I LOVE these, and hope to do one myself soon- it's something I think I could do with minimal help from DH.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by