How big should a coop big for 5 chickens road island reds?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickens3, May 12, 2009.

1. chickens3

chickens3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Eau Claire, Michigan
    I have one made the coop is 3ft high by 2 1/2ft wide and 3ft long is that big enough and i have a run i open the run in the day and close it in the night time is that good or what, what do you guys think?

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

RIR's become big birds and like to soar. Is there a chance of getting some more overhead room? I suspect they are going to be very cramped and might become aggressive with each other...will they get out every day, even in winter? Is it predator proof? Easy to clean?

I'd offer a minimum of 8'x8'x8', but I'm sure others will disagree!

I dunno, I'd want more room for this breed...[​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  3. chickens3

chickens3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Eau Claire, Michigan
    The roof is made out of tin and is tight to it so nothing can get in there i am going to have to make there chicken run higher it is only at 2ft right now that is not high enough i tried to tell my dad that 2ft is not high enough for those birds how high should the run be for them the house is not getting bigger becuase it is already made. the run is 4ft long and 3ft wide and 2 ft high.

4. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

You barely have enough room for 2 chicks to be comfy, nowhere near enough for 5.

5. swtamour

swtamour Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Silicon Valley
    I think your coop is too small for 5 RIR. I have 3 RIR and my new coop will be 4ft x 4ft and the run is also 4ft x 4ft. But they get my whole backyard as well. They currently are in a 2ft x 4ft coop and it's tight for them when you factor in the space for the feeder and waterer.

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Rhode Island Reds are big chickens, and need lots of room. They may well peck each other badly if they are crowded, mine are very aggressive that way.

I agree with LynneP, a minimum of 8' x 8', but maybe only 6' high.

7. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    As big as you can afford to make it. 5 chickens will never do for long.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by