How big should the coop be?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CharlotteRenee, Apr 1, 2015.

1. CharlotteRenee

CharlotteRenee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    Hampden MA
    We might get about 6 chickens, so how big should the coop be?

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I keep 6 birds in a 4x4 coop. The coop has a two nest box mounted on outside, holes for bird access from coop. My management style is to let them out every day regardless of weather. If you think you'll coop them on cold winter days they'll need more space but for the purpose of roosting at night and going in to lay eggs it's plenty big.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Follow the link in my signature below. We are all unique so there is no one size that suits all of us. Your climate, your other set-up such as run, how you manage them, your flock make-up, your goals, and many other things are all unique to you. The size that fits you may be totally different than the size that fits me. Coop size is not the important criteria, how much room they have when they need it that is important. That room could be the coop by itself, cop and run, or they could free range and sleep in trees.

I find the more room I give them the fewer behavioral problems I have to deal with, the more flexibility I have to deal with things that do come up, and I don’t have to work as hard. I’m all about taking the drama out of chickens keeping and making my life easier, but some people really enjoy the drama.

4. CharlotteRenee

CharlotteRenee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    Hampden MA
    Ok thank you!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by