1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How big? Someone please answer.....

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by LaBaze, Jul 17, 2011.

1. LaBaze

LaBaze Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Covington, LA
    Im looking to breed and possibly show silkies and have some questions on them and their coop and run.

Im looking to get 1 or 2 different colored roosters who will need seperate pens and about 2 hens per roo to breed. My questions are,

How big of a run do I need for 1 rooster and 2 hens?

How big of a coop do I need for them?

I also have a smaller partridge cochin that I'm keeping because she is a runt and she needs special care so I don't want to give her to just anybody so will I have to worry about a silkie rooster

mounting a tiny cochin? She's small enough without being squashed by a full grown silkie rooster....

I have two hens, one splash and one black that are absolutley beautiful but are still pet quality, if I breed them with a show quality rooster could I keep them to breed with show quality or would I get a bunch of pet quality silkies?
    I'm new to breeding for certain traits, I want to learn a little more on genetics and breeding so I figured my main source of information would be here.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  2. HatchingFever

HatchingFever Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2011
    I have a trio of partridge silkies in a 3 by 5 cage in breeding season and its fine.

3. LaBaze

LaBaze Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Covington, LA
    Thanks HatchingFever! I still need more answers to more of my questions though... anyone?

4. SierraView

SierraView Chillin' With My Peeps

http://www.henspa.com/Henhut.htm Something like this is an idea for a breeder pen.

Your small cochin hen all you can do is put her in there and watch. She might be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by