How big to build my coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by The Poultry Peanut, Apr 6, 2009.

1. The Poultry Peanut

The Poultry Peanut lives under rock

I have in the neighborhood of 45 chickens and we need a new coop as the other is in bad shape and I was wondering how big should I build it? It seemes like all the cppo plans on the internet are for people with less than 10 birds. Any help would be great.

2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:You need a minimum of 4 sq for each chicken so I would say you need at least 200 sq feet building.
    so a20'x10' will be awsome.

3. The Poultry Peanut

WOW! Thats going to be expensive! So am I better off to build a coop or just buy a pre built shed?

4. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:I think if you build it yourself you will save a lot of $$$$ and you will have a lot of fun, plus you always can find some culled lumber at lowe's and Home depot and you will save money this way too, inaddition to that you build it the way you want it.

Omran

5. The Poultry Peanut

Okay thanks! [​IMG]

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    What about using pallets? Can you get some free or cheap? Got a friend who throws pallets away at work? There is always Craigslist, or scraps from local construction sites -- lots of ways to scrounge materials. Know anyone who might like a building torn down? If you lived around here I could point you to some....

7. DanTaylor

DanTaylor Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2009
    Grand Junction
    Hit up your local lumber yards for pieces of wood that came off of shipping crates. Most of them will have tons fo it laying around. My first try out fo the gate at a Lowes store yielded me 4 sheets of plywood and probably 10 2x4's for my coop. Also as others have stated craig's list and check the local paper for free sections and what not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by