How big to silkies get?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Poultrybonkers, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
  2. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Can't tell how big or small yours is without something next to it for a size comparison. [​IMG]

Silkies in this country are Bantams. According to the American Silkie Bantam Club, the birds should weigh as follows:

Feather Legged Bantams -
    Weights: Cock 36 oz. Cockerel 32 oz.
    Hen 32 oz. Pullet 28 oz.

Check out the SOP for the breed here:

http://www.americansilkiebantamclub.org/standard.asp

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  3. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

They are a 'true bantam breed' meaning the males get 2 something 3 pounds and the girls not even that. That's what you got when you wanted a Silkie.

4. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

I thought silkies can't be considered a true bantam, as they do have standard sized silkies over seas...

5. ScaredOfShadows

Panda, your Roo in your link pic looks close to mature, so I'd say they aren't going to get much bigger.

6. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    oh, so this is where I ask, CAN I breed up some giant silkies? And given just how addictive these little aliens are, SHOULD I even consider it?

7. ScaredOfShadows

Quote:some are breeding for larger silkies. There are actually very few standard size silkies in the US - VERY few of them however. They aren't common overseas either.

If I would do it, there are two ways... Select over sized adult birds to breed together for multiple generations, only breeding the largest best quality birds. You do not want to lose your standards (good foot feathering, crest, and toes) to achieve the size. You still want a good silkie as a large breed. secondly if just for fun for yourself - AI (artificially inseminate) a male silkie over giant cochin hens, and breed those offspring together and AI the best top hatted and 5 toed offspring with a great silkie roo again...the offspring will mostly be silkied. - keep breeding the better qualities and larger birds together. either way you'd be looking at a 5 year + project to get decently large and decent "silkie" looking birds.

8. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    Thanks! that is out of my league, was mainly curious.

9. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    How can they be good brooders when they can fit only an egg under them! I can pick them up with on hand!
    here a vid with a leghorn hen in it their tiny!!

10. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:ive had silkies hatch up to 12 babies at one time

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by