How big would a coop and run be for 2 chickens?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sloallie10, May 16, 2009.

1. sloallie10

sloallie10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    How big would a coop and run be for 2 chickens? Standard sized?

2. Pitchfork

Pitchfork Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    Oklahoma
    FizzyZow:
    According to the majority of folks on these boards you need about 4 sq. ft. of interior space per bird and 10 sq. ft. of exterior run space. The interior space can be reduced if the chickens have a large area to run in and are in the coop only at night. I might add, DON'T DO IT!!! DON't BUILD FOR JUST TWO!! Only kidding, but I thought four would work just right for me and now the wife and grandkids want more and I will have to expand and mine have been in their 4x4 coop for less than a year. Mine have a ton of room to roam during the day. 640 sq. ft run for 4 BOs. So I could add a couple more to the 16 sq. ft. coop. But the whole family is turning chicken crazy so I will probably build a larger coop.
    Good luck.

3. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

We run 5 heavy breed chickens in 5 x 9 pens. 8 heavy breed in 4 x 16 pens and they all have plenty of room. And the small pens have 2 roosts and 3 stacked nest boxes with hanging feeder and waterer.

4. sloallie10

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    the coop is not me its for my newbe friend that is getting chicks! but im asking like how long in feet and stuff

5. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    A 3' by 3' coop will give 9 square feet of space... elevate that and have the run under it and you're looking at... oh... 3' by 7' for a run with a ladder up to the 3' by 3' coop.

Be a nice little setup for just two birds. Basically a hutch style coop. I'd say 4' high would be fine, as well since that would give 2' in the run and 2' in the coop.

Something to remember is nest boxes taking up room in the coop... If it were me, I'd do a 4' by 8' in the same configuration [but with a 4' by 4' coop] so that you're sure there is plenty of space... Cuts down on lumber waste as well.

6. sloallie10

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    what about a A frame coop, thats what there planing on doing

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by