1. Fire Rescue1401

Fire Rescue1401 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2011
    Liberty Hill, TX
    i am wanting to have between 10 and 15 laying hens. i have a 5'x8' 5' tall shed that i am going to convert to a coop i am going to make a run come off the side of the coop i am thinking about 10'x20' fenced in run.. is that big enough? if not how big should i make it.. also the hens will not be penned up at all time after they are used to being in there i will start letting them out to be free range during the day..

Thanks,
    Eric

2. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, some will tell you bigger, some will say smaller I go by BYC 101.
    Chicken Care After First 60 Days, General Chicken Care:

Chicken Coops - Once feathered out you'll want to move your chickens into a chicken coop! Rule of thumb is about 2-3 square feet per chicken inside the henhouse and 4-5 sq/ft per chicken in an outside run. Keep local predators in mind and make a safe home for your flock!
    Flooring - Pine shavings work best. You can even try the deep litter method for even less maintenance.
    Food & water - Most people go with chicken layer feed / pellets. You can even make a homemade chicken feeder / waterer
    Treats - Vegetables, bread, bugs, chicken scratch (cracked corn, milo, wheat)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Hi, from big bear, you'll love all the info you get here! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  3. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hey firerescue, based on the chicken math everyone uses, your coop would surfice for 10 hens( 4 s.f. per bird) Your run, at 10' x 20', or 200s.f. could accomidate 20 girls, allowing 10 s.f. per bird. My coop is 10' x 12' and we currently house 32 girls in it. They don't seem to mind since they are only in to roost at night and out in the run as soon as the automatic doors goes up before sunrise. Hope this helps. by the way, 22 yrs in Fireservice. Good luck.
    erik

4. Fire Rescue1401

Aug 10, 2011
    Liberty Hill, TX
    I'm also going to make half the inside of the coop two levels so that will give them a little more room... now should i have the feed and wate inside the coop or out in the run or both?

Thanks

5. Fire Rescue1401

Aug 10, 2011
    Liberty Hill, TX
    Quote:Thanks for the info, also at night do i need to close the door from the run to the coop. the run will be fully inclosed and protected from critters... 6 year in the service

Thanks,
    Eric

6. fireguy56

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    I like feed and water outside. Personal opinion. Again, when they go in for the night, they are ready to roost, and poop. when up in am, and door opens they rush out to the feed and water. My hanging feeder is under a roof in enclosed portion of our run that is 10' x 10', this way the feed doesn't get wet in our S.E. La. daily showers.. Rest of run is 20' x 24' with chain link top to keep out flying bad guys. They scratch and dust bathe, etc... in the open area or sun bathe.

7. fireguy56

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Yes, I would lock them down at night. I feel like my run is pretty gorilla proof, but don't wanna take any chances. Just my opinion.
    Erik

8. Fire Rescue1401

Aug 10, 2011
    Liberty Hill, TX
    so you don't have any food or water in the coop at night. they are fine to go the night with no water?

9. fireguy56

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Others more wise than myself might say you can do it both ways. I've read here, that still others only feed in the run area. My thought is since they are roosting and sleepin when indoors, why worry about feeding them. they can eat and drink when the door opens at sunrise. Plus, I havn't seen a chickenn yet that is concerned about any type of mess. So, I am keeping any mess problems outside, off of their shavings. Other than throwing alittle scratch on the floor every so often to get them to help with turning over the pine shavings. Again, just my humble opinion.
    erik

10. KHoward

KHoward Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Boston
    Hi,

I have a question about the square footage of the coop. Like many other people, I only use the coop for letting the chickens sleep - they have an acre to roam during the day. If the footprint is 4x5 then the assumption is 5 chickens, right? But if it is 5' tall with two roosting bars (one at 1.5', one at 3'), would that double the sleeping space of the coop? I was thinking the height of the coop would make a difference in the square footage of the coop?

Can someone check my math...?

~Kristen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by