How big???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mfaith694, Jan 23, 2014.

1. mfaith694

mfaith694 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2014
    I am going to build a run for ducks. I will only have 4 ducks...how big should I make it? They will be living in it all year round.
    Thanks!

2. mfaith694

mfaith694 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2014
    I am planning on 6x12 run with a dog igloo inside of it. Seeing ducks don't go inside much

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Okay, I am backā€¦.

Been thinking about this.

How big is the dogloo? Too-tight quarters for too long can lead to troubles.

I like to plan for most extreme case. For example, this week, we ain't gonna see temperatures above freezing for umm, the foreseeable future. [​IMG] I am so glad that the night pen / storm shelter is about 85 square feet, for thirteen ducks. That's let's see that's 6.5 square feet per duck. And it feels a little tight. I keep them interested by bringing treats (winter wheat fodder) and visiting with them a few times a day, letting them outside - they generally last less than five minutes.

Their first shelter was 32 square feet plus 30 square feet of porch covered with half inch metal hardware cloth, for 62 square feet for eleven ducks. These are small ducks, by the way - they weigh 3.5 to 4 pounds. We adopted buffs, and Bean weighs about 5 pounds.

The Day Pen is 10ft by 16 ft, plus the porch, so that's 190 sf for everybody. It holds three swim pans (about 2'x3' each). That's where they are much of the time when I am not here to take them on walks or monitor them in the garden.

Then there is duck math to consider. I was going to get three ducks. ahem.

So, planning for times when they will need to be inside, planning for really really hot days (shade, fresh water), planning for predators that start to show up when they find out about the ducks, will make you thank yourself when things don't go perfectly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by