How bout these as duck coops? (PICS)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jmc, Nov 2, 2008.

1. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    I think they'll work fine--even more than I need, but I still hope for some replies/comments, etc.

I am thinking of using this as a coop for a trio, i.e. one drake and two hens. Note also the large north-facing vents.

[​IMG]

I have a total of 22 sq. ft. of floor space in here. There will be NO chickens, only Khaki Campbells. No roosts, of course; no indoor feeder, and no nest box--at least not the style you see in the background.

This seems ample for a trio of one drake:two hens!!!

[​IMG]

Here is another view, this time from the opposite door into coop.

[​IMG]

Here is a pic of the south side of coop (IT IS 5.5 X 4 FT IN SIZE, BTW) I guess I took this to show you the nice size of the vents.

Also, the run you see here butted against the coop will NOT be used for the ducks..... You also see two windows below the vents...

[​IMG]

HERE IS THE OTHER COOP. This one is 6 x 3 (18 sq. ft. floor space). This pic shows the nice size north-facing vents--in pic covered with a plexiglass thing, for chilly night.

THIS COOP HAS NO WINDOWS EXCEPT THE AIR VENTS. I don't think ducks coop needs more window than this--would you agree??

[​IMG]

Here is the 18 sq. ft. interior of this coop. Again, there will be NO chickens!

[​IMG]

Finally, here is the south side of the coop, showing the good size vents. You can actually see out the vents on the other side of coop in this photo.

[​IMG]

OH YES, want to mention that I would like to use this 18 sq. ft. coop ALSO as a coop for a trio of one drake:two hens.

I would greatly appreciate your comments, all you experienced duck raisers!!

Thank you so much for taking the time!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2008
  2. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Those look good! Will the ducks have access to water or a pond of some sort?

3. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    wow that's really nice my 2 have a medium sized dog house and they free range with the chickens

4. redhead83402

redhead83402 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Idaho
    Again, there will be NO chickens!

AAAKK ~ NO CHICKENS??? but they are SO CUTE!! you have BEAUTIFUL chickens! Haven't you learned your BYC addiction any better than that?!? ~ lol ~ I can clearly see we need to work on you more attentively!! ~ ;-D
    ~Red​

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I'm just wondering and maybe you've said in one of your other posts, but why are you switching from chickens to ducks?

I love your hens by the way. Very pretty girls.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  6. ChickenDreamer

ChickenDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    Northern Ontario
    No? N-n-n-n-no chickenz?
    Whaaaaaa [​IMG] What can she be Talking about?!?!

7. ChickenDreamer

ChickenDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    Northern Ontario
    Sorry [​IMG] Those are very nice coops.

8. jmc

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    Was sort of hoping for more on the coops as fit for ducks than

on the 'no chickens' part.............

but i spose i should be glad at getting some attention, anyway!

EDIT:

one acquaintance saw them and said they are impractical for ducks, apparently because a person cannot walk into them and clean them. (but I think many of you do not have walk in duck coops...)

Also said there was not enough ventilation for ducks, cuz ducks raise much more stink than chickens...........

I trust her critique, but i am still disappointed. anyone have any thoughts on this critique?????????

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2008
  9. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    In my experience which I admit is limited , ducks only make a bigger mess if you put water in the coop. But if you put food in the coop you have to put water cause ducks will choke on the food without it.

10. jmc

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    Oh yes about the messiness.

Food and water: OUTSIDE--EVEN IN WINTER. That is done in this neck of the woods, yes even in winter.........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by