How bright lights? will solar work?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mrs.Puff, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    I don't have electricity, so I can't put a light in my coop unless it's one of those little solar powered deals used for landscaping. Would a few of those be bright enough? Could I put them outside to charge up for a while then put them in for a couple hours in the evening? Has anyone tried this?

2. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  3. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    Really? I've never seen this. I could use something like that for my house. Can you turn off the light somehow? Wouldn't it be on all night in the coop? I've heard they're not supposed to be on all night. Plus, DH would probably have a hissy if I tried to spend that much more $ on chickens

4. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    I'm thinking of doing this too. My thoughts are to charge the garden light during the day and put in inside the coop at night for a very dim light. If more light is needed, I could use more than one. I'm thinking of using a flag holder inside of the coop. [​IMG]

5. RocketDad

RocketDad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2008
    Near US 287
    I'm visualizing the yard lights in the coop, stuck into brackets on the wall - like high tech torches in a chicken dungeon. [​IMG] Go for it!

6. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Mrs.Puff :

I don't have electricity, so I can't put a light in my coop unless it's one of those little solar powered deals used for landscaping. Would a few of those be bright enough? Could I put them outside to charge up for a while then put them in for a couple hours in the evening? Has anyone tried this?

I really don't think this type of light will be enough to even bother with. I would only try it if I already owned the lights. I just wouldn't bother to buy them unless you can use them to light your landscape. I would guess that anything under 40W isn't going to make a difference for the chickens.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by