1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How broody are Easter Eggers?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by RAREROO, Oct 11, 2009.

1. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I've was talking to Krys about how we'd like to use broody hens to set are rare breed eggs instead of using an incubator, we both know silkies are superior broodies but their small size only allows them to set a small number of eggs at a time, so we are planning to cross silkies with other broody LF breeds to hopefully produce hen with the great tendency towards broodiness like the silkies, but with larger size. Krys is planning on useing her Marans and I have some EE hens that have just started laying that I could use. Since I have never had any adult EEs, I don't know how broody they tend to be, I have heard they are decent broodies and I know it can depend on the particular bird, but what about the breed in general?

Also do you think a my Silkie roo can breed an EE hen or should I use the EE roo on the silkie hens or will it matter?

If anyone has any pics of Silkies crossed with EEs, BRs, Orps, Wyan. or really any other LF breed, I'd love to see them.

Thanks

2. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    This is my bantam hen that is Silkie crossed with Brahma or Cochin I think. She's a good broody and I am hoping to get something like her, just in a larger size. Those are BC Marans chicks she hatched.

[​IMG]

3. TurtleFeathers

TurtleFeathers Fear the Turtle!

Jan 9, 2009
    By the Chesapeake Bay
    My silkie roos breed with my EE hens all the time and have NOOOO trouble at all! I have quite a few of their offspring. Here's one:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  4. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Can't answer you generally...but I have 2 EE hens that have never gone broody and are 1 1/2 years old.

5. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Thanks, she looks bantam sized, is she? was the mother EE a bantam or LF? Is she laying yet? are the eggs green/blue ?

6. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    only one of all of my EE's and Ameraucanas has ever gone broody and she left the nest around day 15. I think maybe if you crossed them with a silkie you might do better . . . maybe. Aren't cochins broody?

7. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I think you should stick with your original silkie x cochin- but use LF cochin instead of bantam. That might extend you hatching season a bit too. [​IMG]

8. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Thanks I have heard that cochins are broody but I don't have any personally don't really care for them. I wouldn't mind having a few blues if I come across some cheap ones at our local livestock sale, there was a nice pair of Mille Fluer Cochins in the auction section last saturday but I didn't have any extra money or time to wait for the auction to start. I do plan to have a mixed broody pen so I may put a few cochins in there later on. We'll see thanks again

9. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    My EE's weren't particularly broody.

10. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Thanks but I didn't cross that hen I have, I bought her as an adult and I do not want LF cochins, I just wanted to use EEs because I already have them and they are just starting to lay now and my Silikes should be laying and breeding soon. I also have Barred Rocks and Speckled Sussex ,but I prefer to keep them pure though I may try a SS roo on a silkie hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by