How broody are silkies?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by patman75, May 28, 2010.

1. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have been secretly wanting a broody hen. (SSSHHHH dont tell my wife [​IMG] ) I have a BO, SLW and a SS that are my only chances of broodies right now until my younger pullets start laying.

I have read that silkies are broody machines. So how broody are they? If I have 1 silky is it 100% chance of it going broody or lets say if I have 5 silkies then maybe 2 or 3 would go broody.

Help me know what my odds are. [​IMG]

Thanks as always.

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:I have 3 silkies.... and I have 1 broody at all times..... the 2 will rotate on the nest... 1 silkie has never gone to my knowledge...

3. Marie1234

Marie1234 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    I had one silky who went broody 4 times in one year. She would raise her chicks, get back to laying and after the tenth egg get broody again.

4. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    I only raise Silkies.....I've never had a Silkie that DIDN'T go broody.
    They make wonderful moms too; even my roosters join in on the rearing & feeding of the chicks.
    [​IMG] go get your Silkie

5. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    I have never seen the beat of Silkies for going broody. I have had some that, if they saw 3 eggs in one nest, would settle down and fight you for them, every single day for months! One time, the top hen in the pen went broody, and the others kept sneaking in and laying eggs in her nest while she was out feeding. She'd come back, kick them out, and go back to setting. When the first eggs began to hatch, I removed the chicks, and she went right on brooding the rest of the eggs. Every few days, a couple more chicks would hatch, I'd remove them, and on she went! This went on for something like three months before I finally took pity on the poor bird, and removed all of the eggs, candled them, and put back the ones that were furthest along (the remainder went into the incubator). They hatched a few days later, and still she sat; I began to fear that the chicks would starve! Eventually she did get up, but I still had to watch her, she was one of the most egg-obsessed hens I have ever had.

Around here, Bantam Cochins run a close second for broodiness, which I am beginning to think is contagious. Last week, one free-ranging hen decided to set in the back of one of the horse stalls. Two days later, she had competition, which they eventually got sorted out with hen #1 moving to another corner (where three other hens had very graciously deposited their daily contributions). A couple of days after that, nest #1 attracted a third hen, and the two girls divided the eggs between them, setting up nestkeeping within a couple of feet of each other. Yesterday, I moved all three of them (and their eggs) to individual cages, but not before hen #4 got into the act. It was beginning to get so crowded in there, the horse (a mini) had nowhere to stand!

6. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow. That broody?!

But once you own silkies isn't that like going down the path of no return? [​IMG] [​IMG]

Like turning to the dark side or becoming a crazy chicken owner? [​IMG]

7. macmama

macmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    Your BO might end up broody for you... I can't get mine to stop! I have 3 that are 7 months old, one went broody like crazy 3 weeks ago so I ended up giving her fertile eggs, and when I went to collect eggs from the other hens today a second BO was flattened out on the nestbox growling at me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by