How Broody can she get?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mustangsaguaro, Oct 3, 2012.

1. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    I have this one Lav Ameraucana hen I swear is more broody than my silkies. And we know how broody silkies can be. It started in March of this year. This hen sat on a clutch of eggs that did not hatch for unknown reasons. For about 2 months she went back to normal hen activites w/ the rest of the flock. Then in June it all began again. She sat on eggs raised a bunch of babies and when they were about 4 weeks old decided she had had enough. Then about 3-4 weeks later she went broody on me again. Sat on another clutch of eggs that hatched. One chick is left from that batch. She did the same thing basically told this chick it was on it's own at about 4 weeks old. But w/ this chick he/she has continued to stay close to momma even when she goes to lay an egg. Well the last few days in the evenings she hasn't been roosting but has going in the nesting box. She does come out during the day but I think if I left a bunch of eggs there for her she would probably stay on them and do her thing. Has anyone seen a hen be this broody? I love it since she's a natural incubator, but then again I hate it as well since I'm not getting any eggs from her.

Now, I currently have 2 other broodies. A silkie sitting on 3 eggs and another Lav Ameraucana sitting on 8 eggs. Both of these batch of eggs are due to hatch next week. I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and get some eggs for this hen to sit on and let her have another batch of babies. However, I'm a bit concerned if I do do this knowing her behavior it will start the cycle all over once those little ones hatch. What would you guys do? I know winter is coming and generally don't hatch chicks in the winter season. Although where I live I don't have to worry to much about cold, snowy winters. I have rain to worry about. And not knowing what this winter season will bring in regards to wet weather I'm a bit hesitant. In a way I look at it come spring time when people are wanting little ones I will have birds that are somewhat close to laying and I will know the sex and could sell them birds in which they will have eggs late spring/early summer instead of having to wait until fall/late fall of next year.

Your thoughts/comments are appreciated.

Thanks

2. mustangsaguaro

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    Bump. Anyone?

3. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    howdy neighbor, we live down the road from ya a bit. we got some eggs sitting under a broody bantam that are due on oct 9 and thats it for us for the year. we want them to grow up enough before rainy season hits ( if it does and we pray it does, rainy season that is ) so i vote you give the little broody hen a break and hope she'll be a better mother next spring. thats a pretty silkie ya got there :) we want to get some baby silkies next spring. good luck to ya :)

4. mustangsaguaro

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    Don't get me wron, this broody is great. She has mothered 3 batches of chicks this season. I thought about the weather thing and maybe you are right. I should wait and start up again next spring seeing that I have 2 broodies now w/ 11 chicks due to hatch between the 2 of them all next week.

Well if you want some nice silkies next spring rather than buying from the local feed store keep me in mind when that time comes. I will definately be hatching silkies next spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by