How broody do these breeds tend to get?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Morgan7782, May 24, 2010.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I have one Barred Rock pullet, and one Easter Egger pullet. I have read the breed descriptions on BYC, but was curious of personal experience.

For those of you who own EITHER EE or BR hens, how often do they go broody? Any input is helpful, just for my own curiosity.

2. Dar

Dar Crowing

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:the only way my EE sits on a nest for any longer then to lay is if i bribe her.. I dont know about the BR

3. WingingIt

WingingIt Songster

Apr 16, 2009
    I have two of each. They are a little over a year old. So far none of them have gone broody. One of my buff orpingtons (same age) went broody months ago, just to compare. She's a great Mom.

4. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Thank you very much for the info [​IMG] I am looking for 'less broody' just because I am not experienced enough to handle hatching of eggs [​IMG] Hopefully after a good run I will be able to look into producing my own laying flock. Are BO's known for being good baby raisers? Does 'adoption' work with chickens at all? Say if I got hatchlings and put them with a broody hen. Any advice would be great [​IMG] thanks again

5. cybercat

cybercat Songster

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Alot depends on where you got them. Certain lines tend to be more broody than others. Both can be broody. There is no way to say when or if they will go broody. But you cn always break it if you want too so do not worry to much about it.

6. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    They are just good old hatchery chicks [​IMG] bought from the feedstore the morning they arrived from Belt Hatchery. I will look up how to break broodiness, and more information about it. I would like to get a breed next spring that would be more prone toward broodiness so I can have her 'foster'. (If that is something that is able to happen.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by