1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How can a hen go broody when their eggs roll into an angled layer box?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by robbiebobbie, Feb 23, 2017.

1. robbiebobbie

robbiebobbie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2014
    I was watching my hens to see who is laying and who is not. I have Black Australorps, New Hampshires and Buff Orpingtons. Some of them wanted to keep the egg from rolling into the box where I collect them. So my question is: Does a hen go broody when they cannot sit on any eggs? Please help as they are now 9 months old and they say that these breeds go broody.

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Yes they will. A hen will sit on nothing if she doesn't have an egg, a rock, a golf ball, a kitten or anything else to sit on.

3. robbiebobbie

Sep 6, 2014
    Oh, thank goodness! That is good to know. Thanks for the reply. I was worried about that after watching them.

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Absolutely -- broodiness is a hormonal state and they can go broody on an empty nest, a non-egg object or a full clutch of eggs -- matters not to a hen determined to hatch chicks.

5. robbiebobbie

Sep 6, 2014
    Wonderful news!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by