how can help a 1 year hen with crooked toes?

chicken delighted

Songster
8 Years
Mar 26, 2011
mesick,michigan
i have seen and heard of helping the young ones but how about an older hen i got her that way when she was a chick
and did not know i could help her.
th.gif
i just worry she ,eats drinks, runs ect as any of my hens but if feel awful i did not know to do something sooner
if i can what should i do
idunno.gif

There's nothing you can do for her now, she's too old. You have to fix them within the first week of hatching, more like at 2 or 3 days old. I have one with crooked toes too but you don't know until you look at her feet. She does everything the other pullets do, though she tends to step on her own feet; she's the best moth catcher of the 6. When she was 2 days old her feet were almost like closed fists; I was referred to a couple of links for poultry orthopedics. We did our best for her, and she still has crooked toes but they now look like the letter 'C' instead of a closed fist.

Here was attempt #1.
36468_ct7.jpg

Here was the final attempt #5 (she kept getting the 'shoe' off her right foot)
36468_ct8.jpg

Here are what her feet looked like 2 days after wearing the 'shoes'.
36468_ct10.jpg

This is what her toes looked like at 5 weeks, she's now 14 weeks and they are the same. I thought I had a pic of her before we fixed her toes but I couldn't find it.
36468_stellatoes.jpg

Here are the sites I was referred to:
http://www.peafowl.org/ARTICLES/1/
https://sites.google.com/a/larsencreek.com/chicken-orthopedics/leg-braces

Last edited:
yup curly is always on the move she might have a bad foot but she the frist one to the door for a treat and she will jump the fence if she has a mind to. to find something new to see ,i quess i am thankful we have her.
big_smile.png

She's lucky to have you
hugs.gif
Most people cull chicks with this type of problem. Since I'm not breeding or showing her I elected to keep Stella.
smile.png

Last edited:
if she can get around without any trouble, you shouldent worry. correctional orthopedics would be very painful and non-effective at this age. i have a friend with a RIR roo who's right foot toes are all curled around each other form not splinting when young, but he is 3 years old and gets around fine. he doesnt even have a limp or walk strangely! at least you know what to do if you have this problem in the future.
smile.png

I have a pullet with crooked toes. People told me to cull her & I wouldn't. I told them she will probably be my best layer sure enough she was the first one to start laying.

Back
Top Bottom