1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How can I brighten up the inside of the coop...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Hopefulloflove, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Hopefulloflove

Hopefulloflove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    ok, my coop has a barn feel inside and I really like that...BUT I really need to brighten it up inside..How can I brighten it up while keeping that rustic feel that I love....I have included a link to pictures. I really don't know how to put pictures on here, so you can use the link...the coop pics are at the end...you can see that on the inside it is kind of dark. Please don't judge the inside yet as it is a work in progress. The girls have not officially moved in yet. Any suggestions?

ok...grrr...I can't seem to get any pictures up here...someone help...

https://picasaweb.google.com/112589597656141943842/ChickensAndCoop#

2. Hopefulloflove

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    Can anyone see the pics?

3. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

I can see the pics...very cute little coop you have....by "brighten" do you mean color or light? I painted the inside of my coop white...

4. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  5. Avonlea22

Avonlea22 Jessamine Cottage

Aug 27, 2011
    I can see them. It looks like you already have plenty of windows/doors. That does not provide enough light? Are you looking for natural light? What about a skylight?

6. Hopefulloflove

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    Ok, I really wanted a loft and a ladder, so my husband incorporated that into the coop, so there is a loft over top of the coop part and a ladder that leads up..I wanted the extra storage...I love it!! Htere is still plenty of room to stand straight up in the coop, I think the ceiling in just over 6 foot, and since we are all short, it works great for us! I am thinking painting the inside of the chicken's are would be good, but I am not sure what color would be good, as I want it to be bright, but also something that ties into the rustic theme...Pharm Girl, I really like that color you used....We do have 2 windows and the front door has windows too...but the one part of the coop, the back part is really dark as it doesn't get much direct light..it is super cozy though....I just wanted to get some of your thoughts and what you think...
    Thanks!

7. Avonlea22

Avonlea22 Jessamine Cottage

Aug 27, 2011
    Does the coop have electricity?

You can always add an led bulb. Home depot sells a phillips that puts out a nice warm light and only uses something like 9 watts. It's pricey, but is a good light.

8. Hopefulloflove

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    No electric yet, but it's coming....

9. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

"Rustic feel" and "bright" don't necessarily go together!! If you want it bright, paint the walls white. If you want it rustic, leave it as is and carry a flashlight. [​IMG]

10. Hopefulloflove

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    BarnGoddess01!! I know..that was totally what I was thinking...Maybe I'll just run some rope light in there or something...I've got a ton of it...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by