How can I build his confidence?

RogerTheChicken

Songster
6 Years
May 17, 2014
I have a partridge frizzle cochin that will be one in April, his name is Elvis, the day I purchased him I fell in love with that little guy, he was so sweet to his hens, extremely cocky to Roger, and liked to sit in my lap, he was in the middle in the pecking order. But when he caught fowl pox in late December, he started to go downhill when I separated him. I put him back in and everyone picked on him, his comb is paler than before and it kinda lops over, he used to chunky now he is skinny. How can I make him cocky again like he used to be, do I separate him and all his previous ladies together for a month? What should I do?

Cocky Elvis

Sad lonely Elvis

I have a partridge frizzle cochin that will be one in April, his name is Elvis, the day I purchased him I fell in love with that little guy, he was so sweet to his hens, extremely cocky to Roger, and liked to sit in my lap, he was in the middle in the pecking order. But when he caught fowl pox in late December, he started to go downhill when I separated him. I put him back in and everyone picked on him, his comb is paler than before and it kinda lops over, he used to chunky now he is skinny. How can I make him cocky again like he used to be, do I separate him and all his previous ladies together for a month? What should I do?

Cocky Elvis

Sad lonely Elvis
If he is still not up to weight and energy, he may not be able to handle the girls. He was away for a bit and the pecking order changed. He may need a little more time to recoop from being sick. Then introduce him back in slowly so he can show who is boss. Is there any hens that warm up to him? I had this problem and had to put roo with hens that like him. I am hopeful the mine will regain his dominant role and be able to go back with everyone.

If he is still not up to weight and energy, he may not be able to handle the girls. He was away for a bit and the pecking order changed. He may need a little more time to recoop from being sick. Then introduce him back in slowly so he can show who is boss. Is there any hens that warm up to him? I had this problem and had to put roo with hens that like him. I am hopeful the mine will regain his dominant role and be able to go back with everyone.
One of my frizzles and my blue rosecomb hen still hang out with him, he also has stopped crowing

I am still thinking he is weak from being sick. Sounds just like what I went through with my big leghorn. Is there anyone picking on him? It has taken me since Thanksgiving til just last week for him to get so he would strut his stuff with the girls I put in with him.

I am still thinking he is weak from being sick. Sounds just like what I went through with my big leghorn. Is there anyone picking on him? It has taken me since Thanksgiving til just last week for him to get so he would strut his stuff with the girls I put in with him.
yes a few chickens are picking on him

You're just going to have to give him more time to recover, if he ever does. Chickens are primal animals, they don't think in terms of friendship. The hens aren't thinking "Oh, I missed him and he's been so sick and I have to hang with him cause he was so lonely and he still looks so bad, I have to be extra nice to him". The hens are pretty much thinking "He's useless. He looks sick, he can't protect me or find me food, he wouldn't make healthy babies even if he could mate. Plus, being sick he could attract the attention of predators, or get me sick. I don't want to be around him".

Depending on how bad the picking is, you can either leave him with the others, or pull him back out until he's himself again.

Speaking as someone with a medical condition, you simply can't rush healing.

Back
Top Bottom