How can I bury chicken with ground frozen?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by princess araucana, Jan 10, 2010.

1. princess araucana

princess araucana Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Rhode Island
    I just lost my first chicken. and of course she was very special.
    Because the ground is frozen solid I'm not sure what to do with her?
    I loved this girl and want to treat her right. Any suggestions?

2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    You can either wrap her in several plastic bags and put her in the freezer to save until the ground thaws, or you can scrap away the snow and build a bonfire where you want to bury her and thaw out the ground. I'm sorry you lost your first and I wish I could say it gets easier, but to me it doesn't.

3. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    DH had to bury a gerbil today and had a hard time due to the frozen ground. Of course, the hole he had to dig was much smaller that what you'll have to dig, so he was able to do it. Maybe you could put her in a plastic trash bag and put her in the freezer until the ground thaws enough for you to dig -- ? Sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  4. princess araucana

princess araucana Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Rhode Island
    Thanks for the replies. The bonfire sounds like a nice idea.
    It is hard, but it's nice to know there are friendly folk like you who understand.
    thanks

5. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    You're welcome, let us know what happens.

6. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    I dont want to be a naay sayer here but I think in rhode Island you would be talking about a big bonfire for a long long time to get the frost out of the grouind deep enouigh for your purposese. I would think you would need at least 36 inches in to the ground. Sorry about your special bird.

Freezer storage might be your best solution

7. Bookworm chick

Bookworm chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    Another thought . . . . . . unless your chick is buried fairly deep, a critter could possibly dig it up. We had that happen in the fall and at this time of year they're probably a lot hungrier.

8. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

When our dogs die, we take them to the dog pound and have them cremated. It really doesn't cost a whole lot. Then we scatter their ashes later on a small plot that we set aside that's often covered with perennial spring/summer/fall flowers.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  9. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    We keep a small burning can for this very reason. Plus if we bury anything in the ground(even when it's warm out), a wild animal is bound to dig it up! [​IMG]

10. Wanda

Wanda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Sorry for your loss. I think the freezer would be best until the gound thaws.

When I buried one of my cats, I know I didn't get the grave as deep as it should have been so I covered it with landscape bricks. That was last May. We have plenty of fox around here and nothing has ever bothered her grave.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by